Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Audio Player Project using DE1-SoC, GPIO, and Python

jawsh
Beginner

Hello,

I am a complete novice regarding FPGA operations so please bear with me.

My group is developing an audio player using the DE1-SoC. We have a version of Linux on an SD card that includes Python as well as drivers for the utilizing the DE1's audio functionality. Unfortunately, there was no driver for GPIO functionality that we saw.

We have completed a Python script that successfully plays a .wav file stored on the SD card that can be heard through the DE1's Line Out jack.

What we would like to do is connect a breadboard to the DE1 via GPIO so that we can press a button on the breadboard and have it play back a song like our Python program does.

So, with that, I have a few questions...

Is it possible to access the GPIO functionality through Python? If so, do we need a driver? Do you know where we can get one?

Would it be preferable to implement these buttons using Platform Designer? Is there a way to set these buttons up such that, by pressing one, it will run our Python audio player program?

If you have any resources that discuss using GPIO with Python on the DE1-SoC, please feel free to share them here.

If you need anymore information from me, please let me know.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SreekumarR_G_Intel

Hello ,

Is it possible to access the GPIO functionality through Python? If so, do we need a driver? Do you know where we can get one?

Short answer i can give you is Yes , As of I understood everthing is mapped between the FPGA and HPS and HPS peripherals itself are memory mapped.Hence you can control the GPIO (one of the HPS peripherals of HPS) from FPGA and HPS

About the Python i am not sure about the driver we have it . if you are not finding it in https://rocketboards.org/ , i think you have to create one.

Would it be preferable to implement these buttons using Platform Designer?

It depends , if you are using the FPGA IO it will be easy to use the platform designer. If it is HPS IO you can directly write the use the C app in Linux.

Is there a way to set these buttons up such that, by pressing one, it will run our Python audio player program.

Yes Definitely possible. Just to start with use C app in linux and see how it work and then move to Python might helps.,

Thank you ,

Regards,

Sree

0 Kudos