Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Can I create an output bin file?

SShaw4
Novice

Quartus version 17.0

Device 10M04SCU169,  32M flash CFI is attached for field upgrade.

I'm modifying software and regularly click "file ... ConvertProgrammingFile", then go to "programmer" and load the target board with logic provided by hardware team, plus my updated programming file.  There are two pof files that show up in "programmer".  One is from the project created by hardware and the other is mine which holds code.

For release, the hardware team wants me to output a .bin file holding everything.  They claim the devices will be programmed, then soldered down.  I am skeptical.

Anyway, my question is how do I create a bin file holding everything.  In the programmer window I can click on "file .... save as" and I see options to save as jbc, jam, svf, or ifc.  I don't see any options to save a bin file, or other easy options.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

May I know what do you mean by .bin file that holds everything?

Or are you looking for programming file such as RPD, JIC, etc..?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
SShaw4
Novice

Thanks Aiman.  I downloaded a screen pic showing the fpga, memory, and files.

My understanding is that the top pof file holds logic, and the bottom pof file ( SSmcfirmware.pof ) holds software built outside of Quartus.

My hardware team wants to send a file holding all the material ( everything in both .pof files ) to the manufacturer so that they can program the devices in a prom burner, then solder the devices to the board.  The board also has a JTAG connector we can use in our repair department to reprogram both devices, but for initial manufacturing the hardware team is telling me we want to follow standard practice and use a prom burner or external programming station.

To me it seems that we would need two files, and that programming the 10M04SCU169 is not normally done in an external programming station, but I am not sure just yet.

In the programming window I was able to build a .jam file.  Does this format hold the entire content of both pof files?

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
SShaw4
Novice

Hello:

I received email asking if my question was answered.  It was not.

What else do you need from me?

Scott S.

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

In the past I found the easiest way to do this was to use the USB Blaster and program all the required files into a real device on the real board.

Then we would either attach a USB PROM device reader/programmer to the device, and dump it's contents to a programming file.

Or in some instances the programming house wanted a physical device programmed with what we would want, so we would desolder and send one.

Not what you wanted to hear I suspect, but we needed to get it done and (then) Altera had no tools to build a flash device image from files.

AFAIK they still have no tool like that.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I can see that you have two .pof files. I would suggest you to used the .pof file that is on top which is Rev0A.pof that has CFMO and UFM.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos