Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20678 Discussions

Can I fully simulate a Qsys Design with a Modelsim PE Simulator that only has a license for VHDL?

WShep1
New Contributor II

I have a VHDL design for which I have generated a NIOS2 Qsys System. All of my design files are written in VHDL. I have a copy of Modelsim PE 2019.1 with only a VHDL license. After generating the Qsys system with simulation model generation turned on, I find that some (not all) of the simulation models generated for the Qsys functional modules are generated as Verilog (*.v or *.sv) files which my copy of PE won't simulate. Is there a way to get VHDL versions of these functional modules or to get a netlist that can be simulated by PE?

The reason that I have purchased a copy of PE instead of using the Intel Starter version of Modelsim is that my design is large enough that the Intel Starter Version of Modelsim runs way too slow.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi @WShep1​ ,

• ModelSim PE Student Edition Support for both VHDL and Verilog designs (non-mixed). Should work fine for design written in VHDL/Verilog.
  • "Modelsim PE 2019.1 with only a VHDL license" Can you check and reconfirm the feature lines in the license file correspond to particular functions in ModelSim meaning does it have qhvhcom,qhvlcom,qhsimvh & qhsimvl.
  • If you have only VHDL license then use ModelSim PE Student Edition, then you’ve heard about ModelSim. Now is your opportunity for a risk free 21-day trial of the industry’s leading simulator with full mixed language support for VHDL, Verilog, SystemVerilog and a comprehensive debug environment including code coverage

https://www.mentor.com/products/fpga/download/modelsim-pe-simulator-download

Hope it helps let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
WShep1
New Contributor II

Thanks Anand for your response. I definately have a Vhdl Only license. And it appears that to simulate a Qsys design, you need to have Verilog and System Verilog as well. Hence, the answer to my question is - No you can't simulate a Qsys design with only a VHDL license for ModelSim PE. Yes your response did help me resolve my issue even though it is not the answer that I wanted. This case can now be closed.

0 Kudos