Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Can I write a ".rpd" file that only contains the application image to an EPCQ device in RSU?

RobertLiang
New Contributor I

Hello experts,

I want to write a ".rpd" file that only contains the application image to an EPCQ device through "ASMI parallel IP" for remote upgrading the system (RSU).

The factory image has been loaded to the EPCQ with a boot_address = 0h (10LP) through the standard programming method of AS scheme (quartus generate .jic file -> programmer -> sfl -> epcq).

I have generated a .rpd file that only contains the application image in the "convert the programming file" tool. Now I need to write this image to the EPCQ with a start address = 400000h, which is half of the memory.

But I'm not familiar with this file type, so I want to make sure that can this plan work? Will covering the second half memory damage the factory image (if the factory is only in the first half memory)? 

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

There shouldn't be any issue on writing the 2nd half of the flash if it is not overwriting the factory image (if you confirm that it is able to fit within the 1st half of the flash).

You can refer to design example from https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/uploads/4/4f/Remote_system_upgrade_c10lp_quick_start_guide.pdf

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

There shouldn't be any issue on writing the 2nd half of the flash if it is not overwriting the factory image (if you confirm that it is able to fit within the 1st half of the flash).

You can refer to design example from https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/uploads/4/4f/Remote_system_upgrade_c10lp_quick_start_guide.pdf

JohnT_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos