Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Can't compile example Cyclone10 GX projects in Quartus Prime 23.1 Pro

Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

To get off the ground with my shiny, new (and expensive) Cyclone 10 GX development board I went to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design-example/714945/cyclone-10-gx-pcie-gen2-x4-dma.html and downloaded the .par file. Quartus 23.1 was happy to open it and wanted to run an IP upgrade, which also ran.

However, compiling falls over with the error:

Error(19021): The same file name "top_hw" is used for different IP files. The same name cannot be used for more than one IP file. Only directly include the .ip file, not the .qip or .qsys.
Error(22175): file: "C:/Users/olivers/Documents/sbsvn/Client/misc/GXexamples/Cyclone10GX_PCIeGen2x4_DMA_18_0_project/platform/top_hw.qsys"
Error(22175): file: "C:/Users/olivers/Documents/sbsvn/Client/misc/GXexamples/Cyclone10GX_PCIeGen2x4_DMA_18_0_project/platform/top_hw/top_hw.qip"

If I remove the QIP then compilation crashes the Quartus fitter.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Nurina
Employee

Hi Oliver,

I don't see any report. However I am recalling a known issue, do you receive the same Internal Error: Internal Error: Sub-system: DCALC, File: /quartus/ddb/dcalc/dcalc_bcm_modules_cache.cpp, Line: 176Could not load pdb file - e:/quartus/quartusprimepro23.1_installed/devices/20nm/ddb_nightfury_timing_corner_db

Do you have only Cyclone 10 GX device installed? If yes, the current workaround in 23.1 is to install Arria 10 device, or you may use 22.4 instead.

Regards,

Nurina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Go into Platform Designer, opening the .qsys file, and try generating the system manually there.  Then try compiling again in Quartus.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Aaargh, another miserable morning trying to log in! Anyway I tried manual QSYS generation and it made no difference, Quartus still crashed.

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

See above, no difference. I do submit crash reports but there's no sign that Intel receive them.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Have you tried the above solution?

It works from my end.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Seriuosly,

I don't remember a QPP design example (Arria 10 GX, Cyclone 10 GX dev kit) that runs without manual editing and some trial and error. The duplicated instance name reported by Oliver is a typical example. It hasn't primary to do with necessary IP update but with changes in Platform designer operation after V18.

It's annoying that Intel didn't yet manage to provide updated example projects  for the most popular development kits that simply run off-the-box. You could really enhance customer satisfaction considerably.

Just my two cents,

Frank 

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the feedback.

I do agree that something needs to be done with these legacy example designs. But since there are workarounds for these example designs, this is not prioritised by Intel PSG. Instead, Intel PSG is focusing more on hyperflex devices (Stratix 10/Agilex) and there are plans to migrate legacy example designs to hyperflex devices. 

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi Oliver,

Can you share the crash report here?

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Here is a working project. 

I removed the top.qip from the project then opened top.qsys on platform designer. There I upgraded the IPs, sync system infos and validate system integrity and lastly generate HDL.

Can you try this from your end?

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

No joy with that, crashes Quartus as before.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi Oliver,

It crashes without showing any messages?

Which OS are you using?

Can you also confirm you have the minimum disk space:

Minimum Disk Space for Intel® FPGA Software

- Intel® Quartus® Prime Pro Edition Design Software (40-145 GB)

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Windows 10 Professional 64 bit, 669 GB free. There is no message from the main Quartus window, what it does is throw up a crash reporter. I've pressed the 'Submit report' most times but I've no idea what that does. At the top of this thread I've posted in what I see if I click on the 'Preview report'.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi Oliver,

I don't see any report. However I am recalling a known issue, do you receive the same Internal Error: Internal Error: Sub-system: DCALC, File: /quartus/ddb/dcalc/dcalc_bcm_modules_cache.cpp, Line: 176Could not load pdb file - e:/quartus/quartusprimepro23.1_installed/devices/20nm/ddb_nightfury_timing_corner_db

Do you have only Cyclone 10 GX device installed? If yes, the current workaround in 23.1 is to install Arria 10 device, or you may use 22.4 instead.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Oliver_I_Sedlacek
New Contributor III

Nurina, thanks for that, yes adding Arria 10 device support fixes the Quartus crashing problem. We had a public holiday here on Monday, and with the time zone difference you'll have to cut me some slack on getting back to you.

Oliver

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III

I can compile top_23_1_0_115.qar in QPP 22.4 and 23.1, both Windows. 22.4 de-archiver complains about wrong Quartus version, but the project is unpacked and can be opened.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi Oliver,

Does above workaround solves your problem?

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi Oliver,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Feel free to open a new thread or login to ‘ https://supporttickets.intel.com ’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Nurina

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos