Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18985 Discussions

Clock Video Input (CVI) usage in VIP IP Core suite

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am a newbie to the Video and Image processing field. Pardon if my questions sound silly :) 

Let me elaborate a bit what we are trying to do: 

We are using Arria 10 SoC and Terasic HDMI-FMC card (http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&No=1067&PartNo=4) to take camera feed and store it in DDR4 memory. Terasic HDMI-FMC board has HDMI Receiver (ADV7619) that takes TMDS signal and outputs (H_SYNC, V_SYNC, DATA(R[15:0], G[15:0], B[15:0]), PCLK and DE (Data enable). With this configuration do I need to have CVI (Clock Video Input) block in the VIP IP Suite to extract the frame and store it in DDR4 memory. Currently, I am not planning to perform any processing on the video frames: My plan is to simply take the frame and store it in DDR4 memory. I have gone through the VIP IP Core user guide, but I still have some doubts. 

With that said I have below questions 

1. Is it a good idea to have CVI block and then use the output of CVI (Avalon-ST Video) to store the extracted frame into DDR4? 

2. Or else have my own logic to extract the frame? Based on H_SYNC, V_SYNC, DE etc.. 

Thank you. 

Regards, 

Hanumanth
0 Kudos
0 Replies