Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Clocks for 10M08SAU169C8G ADC's core

JFK
Novice

Hi,,

I'm using the MAX 10 10M08SAU169C8G in a new design.   The documentation on the ADC (core only) is not clear. to me.

Would someone tell me what peripheral clock frequency is required when using a 10MHz pll-input freq. to produce a 1us running sample rate?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hi, 

I am Farabi who will support you on this request. Please allow me sometime to get the details information on the ADC for MAX10. 

I will get back to you once I have the information you requested asap. 

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

If you choose 10 MHz for the clock, that's what you need to supply to the IP from the c0 output of the PLL in the device.

0 Kudos
JFK
Novice

Hello sstrell,

The ADC on the 10M08SAU169C8G takes two clocks.  The first clock is from the output of PLL1 c0 and it's set to 10MHz.  The second clock is the peripheral clock.  I still don't know what frequency I need to feed to the ADC's peripheral clock.

I tried using 10MHz  as the peripheral clock,.  10MHz didn't work as the peripheral clock.  I also tried 1MHz which didn't work either.  Then I tried to discover which frequency will work.  I found that 3 to 7MHz worked but I don't feel comfortable using these odd frequencies.

My request is;  What peripheral clock frequency is needed when using 10MHz as the adc_pll_clock input?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hi, 

The peripheral clock only used when you cant occupy PLL clk that connected to feed ADC clock. By default, MAX10 will use dedicated clock which is coming from the PLL, and the default frequency is 10Mhz. 

If  you want 1us interval sampling data, 10Mhz dedicated clock from PLL to ADC clock is sufficient. 

regards,
Farabi 

0 Kudos
JFK
Novice

Hi Farabi,

Sorry to belabor this subject but I'm still confused.  The ADC hard IP core takes two clocks and one is the 10MHz input on c0 from PLL1.

What do I connect the peripheral clock input to?

See attachment.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The peripheral clock is the clock that simply clocks the logic of the IP.  The user guide says this must be a minimum of 25 MHz.

0 Kudos
JFK
Novice

Hi sstrell,

I think the 25MHz call-out is a mistake in the manual.  I believe it should say 25KHz.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hi,

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

best regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos