Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

Communication with ADC on Cyclone 2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am wondering if there are any examples on how to communicate with the ADC Chip (WM8731) on the cyclone 2. I understand that the board uses the chip as a slave, but have no idea how to take samples from it. 

In the bigger picture, I am connecting my guitar into the mic input of the board and will do some signal processing from there. At the moment, I have no idea how to set up the board correctly. Any suggestions/help?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have a de2/de2-70 board? 

if it's your case, take a look to Audio example included in CD-ROM for both boards. 

http://www.terasic.com/downloads/cd-rom/ (http://www.terasic.com/downloads/cd-rom/)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a Cyclone 2 EPC20F484C7. Not sure what is a DE/DE2-70 board. Sorry. 

I have gone through the examples in the CD-ROM but I am very confused with all the code as I am not familiar with Verilog. Also, must we use the NIOS processor to communicate with the ADC? Is it possible to build a block diagram which does the job and if so, where could I find such an example? 

Apologies, I am totally new to FPGAs and any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi! 

get university program audio core, and audio and video config core... that vil help... contains documentation abt how to use them...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

All Terasic Dev Kits with an audio codec come with Verilog demostration code. As far as I understand the code, you can use it without NIOS II. It has a state machine that controls the codec setup (sending several commands). I agree, that the demostration code is far from being instructive.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello..ok , let say that I want to call the data which has been digitized by ADC(to modify the data), then how do I do it?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can i do it through software control?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Fantagiro_88, 

Do you have any solution to earlier topic that you wrote in 2009? 

If you could give a quick answer, it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks!:rolleyes:
0 Kudos