Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Compiling for EPM7128ATC

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I need to compile a design for an EPM7128ATC100. It seems, though, that Altera has tried to erase MAX7000A from history, or something, because according to my own research, the only direct solution is to compile with Max+Plus II, and an older version too (before the final 10.2 that is, which is the only one available from the Altera site). 

Is there are workaround ? MAX7000AE seems well supported (up to Quartus II 13), and MAX7000S is documented as architecturally close(r) to MAX7000A. But of course compiling for these will not make the result programmable on MAX7000A. Is there some trick to this (even if it involves some binary editing, bring it on) ? Or am I destined to use a 20 year old unsupported, sort-of unavailable tool like Max+Plus II 9.x or so ? 

I can't be the first one with this problem. Any hints gladly received.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is a common problem with device obsolescence. If you really do want to continue using that exact part then you are restricted to using the last version of the tools that supports it. 

The EPM7128AETC100 is pin-for-pin and timing compatible with your device and is supported by (relatively) up to date tools. I recommend you consider reworking your board with one of these and using Quartus 13.0, which supports it. 

Editing a binary is a non-starter as Altera have never published the structure of these files. Don't waste your time. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OP says 'I need to compile a design for X, any hints ?'. Reaction : 'Why don't you just use part Y'. 

Thanks. That was extremely useful ... 

Anyone else ? There must be some other way, except for tracking down an old version of Max+Plus II that even Altera doesn't provide anymore.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sarcasm won't earn you much credibility here... 

--- Quote Start ---  

There must be some other way... 

--- Quote End ---  

No - there's no other way. Altera don't want to support old device families any more than any other manufacturer's want to support old products. 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Sarcasm won't earn you much credibility here... 

--- Quote End ---  

I wasn't trying. And FYI : second guessing the word 'need' won't either. 

--- Quote Start ---  

No - there's no other way. 

--- Quote End ---  

You mean : you don't know of any. Which is fine. But choose your words more carefully. 

For those looking for the straightforward solution (in the form of old Max+Plus II versions), I just found the older ones (even though Altera does not seem to point to them anywhere on their website) : 

ftp://ftp.altera.com/outgoing/release/ 

Among those I tried of that bunch (7.0, 9.0, 9.3, 10.0), the 9.x versions seem to have MAX7000A support (yay). So if you have the same problem, here's a possible solution if you can handle the idiosyncrasies of Max+Plus II, until someone invents some slight tweak for programming files or Quartus device files to retarget them from MAX7000AE or MAX7000S to MAX7000A.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For those looking for a solution to the same problem as well, this seems interesting too (I've yet to try it though) : 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd01052001_1115.html 

I wonder if this extends to a) compiling for 7000S on Quartus, b) using the Max+Plus II programmer with 7000A as the target. That would probably be the best scheme.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Okay, final say, after some further tests. 

If you target MAX7000A, yes, you can compile for MAX7000S with (e.g.) Quartus 13.0 SP1, then program with Max+Plus II, all the way up to 10.2. 

Somewhat satisfying solution to problem : achieved ...
0 Kudos