Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Computational algorithm-how to imlement it into FPGA?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, everybody! 

I am new in FPGA-based system development and have a task to implement a computational algorithm.Sorry for maybe silly question(s), but as I understood it is possible to do it with SystemС. Is it enough to use it?What tools can implement the project into FPGA circuit? Or maybe I should write something in HDL. Even general advices would help me. 

Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Afaik, you need a systemC to HDL converter before you could start on this, and they are not cheap, as systemC is not supported by Quartus. My understanding it wasnt meant as anything more than a modelling language. 

I would suggest HDL, as that is supported. But you will need to learn digital logic design before you go anywhere near and HDL if you want to get stuff to work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I want to work with fixed-point numbers. Does HDL will allow me to do this?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FPGAs and HDL are built around fixed point. Fixed point is nothing more than integer arithmatic, and hence very simple.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have Bayesian approach in the C-like form. So I thought it would be easier to develop the SystemC project.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When you're targeting an FPGA, you need to understand the hardware, and what is and what is not possible, regardless of the input language. 

I suggest you get started on digital logic.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok, I'll try. thanks for your answers. But the question concernin SystemC is still open

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What about OpenCL, does that help? (OpenCL has nothing to do with OpenGL by the way) 

There are certainly tools that will take high level circuit description like in C and generate VHDL or directly synthesize a circuit from it. I know that MATLAB can do something to this effect.
0 Kudos