Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

Config Flash EPCQ4A Cylone II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello there 

I want to replace the configflash EPCS4SI8N with the EPCQ4ASI8A. The flash is used to configure 

a Cyclone II chip. In the product discontinuance notification is written, that the support for these devices will be included in version 17.1 of Quartus Prime. 

But Cyclone II is only suppurted till version 13.1. 

Is there any workaround that i can program a cyclone II Chip with the new configflash? 

Thanks for quick help 

Greets
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Marc, 

All looks fine recheck the following points. 

To migrate the configuration devices successfully, you need to do the following: 

1.Identify a compatible EPCQ device 

• Package pin count—migration can only be done to a device with similar pin count. 

• Capacity of device—migration can only be done to a device at least the same capacity. 

Check the image attached (figure-1)https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14297  

Your device is matching the 1st requirement. 

2.Verify the device specifications. 

Check Vcc,VI,Vo,Frequency. 

3.Follow the steps in the software settings guideline 

a. Recompile the configuration bitstream to obtain the SRAM object file (.sof). 

b. Convert the .sof to a JTAG indirect configuration (.jic) or a Programer Object File (.pof) files. 

Note: Select AS x1 configuration mode when converting the programming file.Select the correct EPCQ device to migrate to during this step. 

c. Program the .jic file into the EPCQ device using Quartus II Programmer. 

For more information check. 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an822.pdf (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an822.pdf

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an727.pdf (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an727.pdf

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
CTerr2
Beginner

Anand...

I have been trying also to migrate from the EPSC4 to the EPSQ4 with a Cyclone II design.

I have used the Quartus : CONVERT PROGRAMMING FILE tool:

but under the Config Device : there is NO Option for the EPCQ4 device, it only has EPCQ16/32/64/128/256 as selections, but NO EPQ4 ????

can you give your thoughts please

Chuck

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

According to AN822, programming files targeted to EPCS flash don't need recompilation, if no AS flash related IP cores are used. Programming file conversion tool as well as Quartus programmer still supports old devices like Cyclone, Cyclone II and Cyclone III. 

In so far there should be no problems to process the Quartus 13 generated programming files in the recent tool chain. If any flash IP cores are used in your Cyclone II design, you may be still able to update the design, either by manually editing the sources or importing Quartus 17.1 source code. 

There are probably alternative solutions by using third party flash devices.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Regarding compatible third party flash devices, I found that Winbond W25Q16 works for me as a replacement of EPCS16 respectively Micron M25P16 and EPCS4/M25P40. There are more potentially compatible devices, but I didn't yet check it. You can use larger or smaller 64kB sector devices without making new programming files as long as image fits the available memory.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I can confirm ISSI IS25LQ040B-JNLE 

works perfectly as replacement for M25P04 

I can program it with version quartus 12.1 SP1 and 17.1 prime without any problem. No 'disable EPCS ID check' or anything else need to be configured. 

It is recongized as a standard EPCQ4 flash. device ID=0x12  

It's a much cheaper solution.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

is it possible to use a .pof file (generated for EPCS4) to generate a .pof file for EPCQ4A? 

I have a very old Cyclone III design where the archived production database only has a .pof and .jam file. 

Is it possible to create a .pof file for EPCQ4A without re-running the implementation tools? 

The original implementation has been security certified (isolation of design blocks into fpga regions). 

Regenerating the design to get a .sof file may require re-certification which will be very painful . 

Regards, 

Elwyn
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

is it possible to use a .pof file (generated for EPCS4) to generate a .pof file for EPCQ4A? 

Regenerating the design to get a .sof file may require re-certification which will be very painful. 

--- Quote End ---  

Not possible using .pof. Required .sof file for regeneration. 

Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos