Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20824 Discussions

Custom linux image build failure for Arri10 SoC development kit

sgannava
Beginner

Hi, 

I am following  the below documentation to build my custom Linux image for Arria10 SoC development kit. While building Yocto Rootfs, I am facing oe_runmake error. I have attached the log as well.

This is happening in the build process while compiling linux-socfpga-6.6+git package.

I tried below steps as well

step-1: bitbake -c cleanall linux-socfpga

step-2: bitbake linux-socfpga

But at step-2, again same issues. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sai

sgannava_0-1717188878009.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Are you following the steps from rocket board below?

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/Arria10SoCGSRD

Have you made changes to the original branch? Because by default the linux branch it is supposed to use is socfpga-6.1.68-lts

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Jingyang, 

I am able to build the image successfully by removing the linux-socfpga_6.6bb (which is causing the error) blindly following the steps mentioned in the documentation. But I have below questions

1.  Where can I include my custom device tree source files and re-build the image?

2. Where can I make changes so that the image mounts to /mnt folder instead of /dev/mmcblk02

Thanks

Sai

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Please find my response below:

1. Where can I include my custom device tree source files and re-build the image?

You could directly make changes to the device tree source file (socfpga_arria10_socdk_xxx.dts )in the repo that you have clone in your work directory. There are two level of device tree you will need to edit. One for the uboot and one for linux:

uboot

u-boot-socfpga/arch/arm/dts

linux

linux-socfpga/arch/arm/boot

/dts

2. Where can I make changes so that the image mounts to /mnt folder instead of /dev/mmcblk02

What do you mean the image mount point? Which image mount point are you referring to?

Are you referring to the linux image? The linux image needs to be from a dev eg. QSPI or sd card.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Jingyang

Thanks for the response

I have tried only maiking changes in one level i.e. in linux.

I will try changing in both uboot and linux.

Apart from that, I have a general question. I have built the image without making any changes to dts, means I just reproduced the steps mentioned in rocketboards documentation. Image build was successful but I am not able to boot the board. There is nothing shown up in the bootlog

The board details I have are

Serial Number: 10ASXSoC003452 Rev C

Serial Number: 10ASXSoC003968

Thanks

Sai

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi Sai

Just to confirm you are working with the board below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/fpga/development-kits/arria/10-sx.html

Instead of trying to build the binaries, could you try running the pre-built binaries to check the board is able to boot up?

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/Arria10SoCGSRD

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Jingyang,

Thanks for the response.

I am checking the GSRD image with the board I have. I will get back to you.

Regards,

Sai

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Jingyang,

The board is booting up with the pre-built linux binaries. 

So, I can use pre-built .itb and uboot.img for initial booting and I can use .dtb and zimage files built by me for my application. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Sai

0 Kudos