Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

Cyclon IV GX transceiver Starter Kit - PCI Express

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I have bought this developement kit and i want to test the PCI Express port. I was using the Board Update Portal to load a *.flash into the FPGA and test it but i couldn´t get it working. Please let me know where or how i can get a file to load in the FPGA and test the PCI Express port. I have installed the cyclonIVGX_4cgx15_start_v11.1.0 and i don't know why the "configure" menu isn't available in the Board Test System GUI. I installed the cyclonIVGX_4cgx15_start_v10.1.0 which has it available and then i was looking for some file related to PCIe and couldn't find anything. I think that i'm not loading the correct file in the FPGA because i couldn't access to the SMA and PCIe tabs on the Board Test System GUI. 

Thank you in advance. 

Juan.-
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try this one 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/pci_express_in_qsys_example_designs 

It has the project for starter as well.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all,  

I have bought as well the Cyclone IV transceiver starter kit and i am having similar problems as "jverasay". I am trying to use the Board Update Portal to load a *.flash into the page 1 of the HW user and test it but i cant get it working, all the time the led of error (red light) is turning on. Please let me know where or how i can get a file to load in the FPGA and where i need to upload it (in HW or SW browse).  

As "jverasay", I have installed the cyclonIVGX_4cgx15_start_v11.1.0 and when im trying to run the Bpard test System, the "configure" menu isn't available think im doing something wrong cause im not even able of run the Board Test System 

Thank you in advance. 

Lucia
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Lucia, 

I was working on it and i'll tell you my experiences. When you want to load a *.flash file you have to load it in the "Hardware File Name" Browser (in the board update portal) but when you want to load a *.sof file you have to load it in the other one. Once the file is loaded you follow the instructions about how to press the board's switches to load the file into the flash memory, then turn the board off and check the DIP switches located behind the board and change the S8.2 (USER_PGM) to ON position to let the board load your .flash file after you turn it on!! After doing this you will be able to run the Board Test System GUI and all the tabs (less SMA and PCIe) will be available!!! 

Don't worry about SMA and PCIe tabs. The menu "configure" doesn't appear in version 11.1 but it isn't a problem. When you install "cyclonIVGX_4cgx15_start_v11.1.0" go to <directory installed>/kits/cyclonIVGX_4cgx15_start/examples/board_test_system/sof and you will find three .sof files. If you load "bts_xcvr.sof" or "bts_xcvr_wo_loopback.sof" , the SMA and PCIe tabs will be ready tu use when you run the BTS GUI. The file bts_general.sof lets you to test GPIO, SDRAM, FLASH, etc. 

I hope have been clear enough!!! :-) 

Juan.-
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the answer Jversay. 

But i still have the problem. When i am downloading the files, even if i tried to download the *.flash file (in HW browser) or i download *.sof file (in SW browser) , the red led meaning error is shining.  

Still, i continue making all the steps,i press the PGM buttoms... i change as well the S8.2 (USER_PGM) as you have told me, and i run the BTS. Then, i select the configuration mode i want, but the BTS is like block. The message "Starting the FPGA" appears, but it is not changing... the initiation stays at 0% 

I have wait 5 minutes, but nothing is happening. 

any other suggestion???? thanks. 

Lucia
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I am using cyclone IV GX Starter kit and facing issues with PCIx demo. Could you please help me. 

1. I programmed the FPGA with "...\C4gx15_starter_qsys_pcie_gen1x1\c4gx_qsys_pcie_gen1x1\top.flash" using board update portal. Once the FPGA is programmed and board power cycled, I can see only dots on LCD and the conf done FPGA is green, does it mean the configuration is proper even if the LCD is not displaying the PCIe design? 

2. Does the Board test system will be up and running even after PCIe demo is loaded to board? I cannot connect to BTS once PCIe design is loaded. 

3. I plugged in the board to PCIe slot and invoked the altpcie_demo_qsys_32.exe (installed Jungo drivers), but this indicates that there is no valid PCIe image in the FPGA. 

Did anybody come accross this issue? 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I have tested the PCIe ref design succesfully on the starter kit. Initially i faced problems while installing the jungo driver and detection of PCIe. But later i managed to test the ref design.  

First i have installed the jungo driver and then connected the board to the PCIe slot of the PC. Then i loaded the .sof file. While programming first i have done auto detect and two devices appeared. selected the CycloneIV and when i right click i have options to change the programming file and i have changed the programming file with that of the ref design. When the GUI appeared on the PC it was showing Stratix IV (may be default) then i restarted the sysytem (dnt shutdown since .sof file will be erased) and then i could able to see the CycloneIV details. The ref design i was using is PCIe endpoint onchip memory. I could able to write to and read from the memory.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Rakee, 

Can you please tell me the S7 and S8 settings when the board is inserted in the PCIe slot (during sof file programming). 

Thanks
0 Kudos