Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Cyclone® 10 GX10GX(10CX085YU484E5G)

XHD
Beginner

Hello

I am now using intel 10GX series FPGA (model is 10CX085YU484E5G), I have the following things to ask you,thanks!

1.the FPGA is placed in an iron closed BOX(size L*W*H=260*190*71mm), FPGA without a heat sink in still air,will there be a thermal runaway?

2.Use the EPE Power Estimator, when the Cooling Solution is No heat sink with still air, have an ERROR(... the device may go into thermal runaway),

The purpose is to tell us that because of the large power consumption of 10GX FPGAs, must we use heatsink in the still air?

3.Do you have a development board without a heatsink in th Cyclone 10 GX FPGA (10CX085YU484)?

4.If I specified Auto Compute for Junction Temp (TJ) in the the EPE Power Estimator, Do you tell me the formula between P, Junction Temp(TJ) , and Maximum Allowed( TA)of Thermal Analysis?

5.If the surface temperature(TC) of the FPGA can be known by testing, can the Junction Temp (TJ) be known by calculation? Can you tell me the conversion formula between TC and TJ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out Intel FPGA Community.

For your questions, please give me some time to look at internal resources and answers accordingly. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Aqid Ayman

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I will answer question 1, 2 and 3. Please find the answer below:

A1: We do not expect it to have thermal runaway based on its thermal performance value.

A2: It has heat spreader as part of the package, typically you can use it without heatsink in still air. It is very much depending on ambient temperature of the operating environment and power consumption of the Cycone10GX during operation.

A3: You will need to consult your local FAE regarding the availability of the device.

Regards,

Aqid Ayman

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi,

For question 4 and 5, you can find my answer below:

A4: If you specified a value for Junction Temp (TJ), the value in this field is equal to the value that you specified. If you specified Auto Compute for Junction Temp (TJ), this field displays the estimated device junction temperature based on the thermal parameters provided. The junction temperature is determined by dissipating the total thermal power through the top of the chip and through the board. Junction temperature is equal to Ta + P *Junction-to-Ambient (Theta-JA)

A5: I could not find the info on the surface temperature in the User Guide. Could you share to me where you get the info so that I could narrow my research on the internal resource?

Regards,

Aqid Ayman

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided, please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos