Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

Cyclone V 5CEFA7F23 Temperature Sensor

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Altera FPGA for the first time. The Part is Cyclone V 5CEFA7F23 and I'm wondering if this part has a on die temperature sensor that I can read over JTAG. 

I've gone thru the datasheets and seems like Cyclone V does not have one but wondering if anyone knows since sometimes some information is not in the datasheets. 

If there is one, how might I read the temperature? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm pretty sure there isn't one. There are sensors in Stratix IV, Stratix V, Arria V, Arria 10, but not in Cyclone V. Temperature sensors are grayed out in the IP Catalog. Sensor IP blocks are named stratixv_tsdblock, arriav_tsdblock, twentynm_tsdblock, etc. and an attempt to create a "cyclonev_tsdblock" results in an error.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply. I figured there wouldn't be one but was hoping to be wrong.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I suppose one could always glue e.g. a DS18B20 to the surface and hook it up to a vacant GPIO pin. It would interfere with a heatsink, and the measurements might be off, but it costs pennies and it is straightforward to hook up.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes indeed! But the board design is already done and heat sink already glued on the FPGA. Oh! the joys of working with someone else's work.

0 Kudos