Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Cyclone V Avalon MM DMA PCIe does not export MSI Control signals

Seadog
Beginner

have a Cyclone V design with Avalon-mm DMA hard IP PCIe endpoint.  I have enabled MSI (but have not enabled MSI-X).  The generated core provides MSIIntfc_o[81:0] and MSIXIntfc_o[15:0], but does not provide MSIControl_o[15:0].

The Avalon-mm hard IP PCIe endpoint without the DMA engine does provide the MSIControl_o[15:0] port.

The parameter editor GUIs for these two cores are very different, even regarding the PCIe-specific configuration options.  The core w/o the DMA engine has a checkbox labeled "Enable Multiple MSI/MSI-X support" (under Avalon-MM System Settings), and checking this box enables the MSIControl_o[15:0] port.  The PCIe endpoint with DMA does not have this checkbox.

What is the solution to this problem?  Do I have to read the message control capability structure and provide the MSI config info that way?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

The Cyclone V Avalon MM DMA PCIe IP was obsoleted. The MSIControl_o is not available in the Avalon-MM DMA IP PCIe endpoint, what you can do is probably build a module that uses only the MSIintfc_o signals and write to the TXs port when an interrupt condition occurs, and not having the multiple message capability provided by MSICcontrol_o. 

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
Seadog
Beginner

SK,

Thanks for your response.

My workaround was to provide a shadow register where S/W can store a copy of the Message Control field from the MSI capability structure.  Then I don't need the MSIControl_o signals.

But what concerns me now is your information that the Cyclone V Avalon -MM DMA PCIe endpoint is obsolete.  The IP is available to instantiate in a Qsys block, which I did; and I instantiated the Qsys block in a top-level design, and did a build in Quartus, and produced .sof and .pof files for the completed build.

But you also seem to be saying that I can still use the Cyclone V Avalon-MM DMA PCIe endpoint, even though it is obsolete.  And it seems that the obsolescence of the core is unrelated to the missing MSIControl_o signals, which I am guessing were missing before the core became obsolete?

Thanks and regards,

Seadog

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi

This IP is no longer available in the newer version of Quartus software. And yes, you are right, the signal was missing before this IP was removed from Quartus.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

If further support is needed in this thread, please post a response within 15 days. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos