Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20639 Discussions

Cyclone V Configuration

SK_VA
Beginner

Hi,

I am using 5CEBA9F23C7 and EPCQ64A as configuration flash.

When I select Active Serial X4 configuration. the pof file by default has EPCQ256.

Is there any Flash selection user guide for Cyclone V wrt image size.

Will the sof and pof size be standard for a particular device?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi SK,

If you are configuring using AS x4 mode, i would suggest you generate JIC instead of POF. POF is meant for PS / FPP mode.

Meanwhile for configuration device selection, you just select EPCQ64 will do. Select the configuration device that you are using.

Thank You

0 Kudos
SK_VA
Beginner

Hi,

I created jic and tested. But the jic file size is also 32769KB. EPCQ64 will not support this file size.

So I had to use MT25QL256 Flash device. I have enabled the "Generate compressed bitstream" option in the configuration settings.

But when I create auto rpd along with pof the file size is 12MB.

I have to program the FPGA image and NIOS application image to the flash via jtag.

Please help me to understand how this can be done. I would also like to know the difference between rbf and rpd files.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Different image format is meant for different configuration scheme. RBF and RPD are raw binary file which you will need to write your own script to program it into FLASH memory. RBF is meant for Passive Serial / Fast Passive Parallel configuration scheme whereas RPD is meant for Active Serial Configuration Scheme.

Please take a look at user guide for the basic understanding. You may refer to Cyclone V configuration handbook for more information about configuration scheme and the image format:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5v2.pdf

0 Kudos