Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Cyclone V Life Cycle

SeleneS
Novice

Hi,

As far as I know Cyclone V is currently active but I want to verify here since distribution states to "Verify Status with Factory: Lifecycle information is unclear. "

We currently use this on our current product and it has been really challenging getting backorders that I have had in place since last year. Distributors are no longer allowing backorders since they state that Intel is no longer accepting backorders for this product and say these backorders may be cancelled. 

Should we be redesigning our board to use a newer FPGA?

Thank you,

Selene

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Brad_Hardware_Dev

I am having the same issue with a newer FPGA.  The MAX 10 FPGA.  I can not place an order because the vendor sates Intel will not take backorders.

Although on this webpage Intel seems to state the chips will be available until at least 2032.....

Low Power FPGAs: Intel's Edge-Centric FPGA Overview-Intel

BOTTOM OF PAGE

"Why is Intel extending support for these FPGAs until 2032?

We realize that customers choose to deploy with FPGAs because of the ability to be supported for 15 and frequently over 20+ years. With over 2.5 billion MAX® and Cyclone® FPGA devices sold, it’s important that our customers realize that they can continue to rely and design in confidence with these widely used FPGAs."

Perhaps someone from Intel could explain when these chips will become available for purchase?

SeleneS
Novice

Agreed! I would appreciate a response on when these FPGAs will be available to purchase once more. 

ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Welcome to 2022. Distributors in practice are low man on the totem pole when it comes to getting devices from manufacturers.

Large customers that have purchasing departments have delivery contracts they have prenegotiated long ago.

They are (mostly) getting what they ordered, not always. Everyone else is left wanting.

So I am speculating (I have no inside knowledge) that the Cyclone V family is not anywhere near EOL.

It us just massively supply constrained, with all newly produced devices going to existing volume customers with existing orders.

So what you would have to do is find some part that you can buy ALL the production quantity you need (or lock up in guaranteed orders) and then design around that part. Unfortunately I don't think you are going to find any part now that you can do that with.

Current industry pundits estimate that sometime in 2024 things should get back to 'normal'.

0 Kudos
SeleneS
Novice

Hi

It seems that this is the case. I was hoping that newer cyclone models would be more available but based on what I have seen and the response from Brad, they all have the same issue regardless. 

Thanks,

Selene

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are facing this situation. You can check the status of the FPGA through this link: PCNs, PDNs, and Advisories

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
SeleneS
Novice

Hi Amin,

Is there any end to the supply constraint in the near future? It seems that all Intel FPGAs including newer ones are impacted right now.

Thanks!

Selene

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I understand your situation but unfortunately we do not have resource to that information. We apologize for any inconvenience. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
RShie
Novice

Hi Admin

Not blaming you however there needs to be some sort of company announcement on availability of FPGAs unless you want to kill your customer base. 

We understand everyone is having problems in 2022 however we need some information rather than 'we do not know' as that is not satisfactory. Other semiconductor vendors are at least giving lead times of 52 weeks. At least that lets customers plan. 

Xilinx appear to at  least let you order MOQ (60 parts)

Thank you

Rob

AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello Rob,

We appreciate your feedback and again we are apologize for the inconvenience. As for now we would suggest customer to contact through distributor about this matter.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos