Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

Cyclone V Logic Elements

BillM256
New Contributor I

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how large a design I can implement in a Cyclone V FPGA. It's widely documented that the device can accommodate 110K LEs. But what's an LE? An inverter? A basic gate? A F/F? A 256 bit shift reg? 

TIA for any guidance on this. A spec of some kind on the subject would be really helpful.

Again, thanks,

Bill McDonald

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MBenca
New Contributor I

Hello Bill,
I assume the article FPGAs: System gates or logic cells/elements? can be helpful: www.eetimes.com/fpgas-system-gates-or-logic-cells-elements
A fragment from the mentioned article:
"Each LUT could be used to represent a function that would be the equivalent to some number of equivalent gates. For example, someone once told me that a 4-input LUT could be used to represent functions that were the equivalent of anywhere between 1 and 20+ regular logic gates."

I would recommend to try to implement your project in the Quartus design system for Intel/Altera Cyclone V family. This device family is supported via free Intel Quartus Prime Lite Edition. (https://fpgasoftware.intel.com/?edition=lite).

Regards,
Martin

BillM256
New Contributor I

Hi Martin,

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for; I'll definately check it out.

Many thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
BillM256
New Contributor I

Hi Eng Wei,

Many thanks. This is very helpful and nicely supplements the information previously sent by Martin.

Best,

Bill

0 Kudos
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Bill

Hope your issue is resolved. I am transitioning this thread for community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Eng Wei