Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

Cyclone V SoC - Temperature measurement

MKlee2
New Contributor I

Hi,

we use a 5CSXFC6C6U23C7 Cyclone V SoC FPGA in one in our systems (inverter) after sometime, especially after the system heats up, we observe "strange" behavior, as if the fpga messes up some timings.

It might either be EMI or heat, I suspect it to be heat, as it only happens after a couple of hours running and fixes itself after a couple minutes, without power/heat.

Is there a way to measure the SoCs temperature? I believe the Cyc V doesn't come with a sensor, but the ARM part should have a sensor(?).

But even from within linux I can't seem to fine any way to read the devices temperatures. Or am I wrong and even the ARM comes without measurements?

I'm using a mitysom device with a device-tree + kernel + modules compiled from the most recent intel source provided on git. (the dev tree of the mity is based on the cyc5 soc one an just adds some stuff)

Greetings,

M.Klee

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I don't believe CV (normal or SoC version) has a temp sensor.  If it did, there'd be an IP available for it in the IP Catalog.

0 Kudos
MKlee2
New Contributor I

Yeah I always thought most ARM processors have an build in sensor, and so I thought maybe it's just not connected to the FPGA, as it is part of the ARM processor itself, but it seems I was wrong and even the ARM part comes without a sensor.

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi MKlee2,

I do not see any temperature sensor feature available for the particular Cyclone V model 5CSXFC6C6U23C7

Refer to this link which have some discussion about the similar topic:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Programmable-Devices/Cyclone-V-5CEFA7F23-Temperature-Sensor/m-p/225234

Thank.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos