Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Cyclone V Transceiver Backplane Support

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, my co-worker is designing three boards and a backplane to transfer the data between the three boards. I mentioned that he could use the Cyclone V's embedded transceivers to communicate over the backplane. The backplane will have a length of 8-inches or less. I have not done any designs such as this and wanted to ask the community for help in finding documentation or any comments on backplane support for the Cyclone V. The data rate is very low, we could use something like 1280 Mbps or around that area. If anyone has some experience please share them.  

Respectfully, 

Joe
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your proposal sounds absolutely fine, exactly the sort of application they're targeted at. 

There's quite a lot of Altera support pages for such applications. Refer to their "altera sdh/sonet protocol solutions (https://www.altera.com/solutions/technology/transceiver/protocols/pro-sonet.html)" page for starters. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, my co-worker is designing three boards and a backplane to transfer the data between the three boards. I mentioned that he could use the Cyclone V's embedded transceivers to communicate over the backplane. The backplane will have a length of 8-inches or less. I have not done any designs such as this and wanted to ask the community for help in finding documentation or any comments on backplane support for the Cyclone V. The data rate is very low, we could use something like 1280 Mbps or around that area. If anyone has some experience please share them.  

Respectfully, 

Joe 

--- Quote End ---  

Generally there should be no issue running 1280Mbps for CV transceivers. For design examples, you may recommend you co-worker to refer to the following wiki page and look for the closest example to his target application. Then you could slowly customize from there. 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/category:transceivers 

Best Regards, 

bfkstimchan 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos