Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Cyclone ii FPGA eeprom erasing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm using cyclone ii fpga dev board. I have done the active serial programming by changing the mode from JTAG to Active Serial Programming in Quartus ii software. It works fine, but when apply check the box for erase in programming window after 100% successful message the fpga is stuck and do nothing. 

Is there any procedure other than what i said above for erasing?.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

the fpga is stuck and do nothing 

--- Quote End ---  

If you've erased the serial programming device the FPGA isn't going to do anything. 

Are you describing the behaviour of the Quartus programmer, rather than the FPGA? 

Can you program the FPGA via JTAG? You should always be able to do this regardless of any Quartus (or MSEL pin) settings. How are you programming your serial FLASH part for AS mode? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

but after erasing the flash, we should be able to flash another program into fpga in jtag mode, right? 

it is stuck and there is nothing in the seven segment leds as well. I have done the AS programming by changing the mode from jtag to ASP mode and configuration switch from RUN to PROG.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, you should always be able to put something into the FPGA via JTAG. 

The 7-segment display will only show something if the FPGA is programmed and working. 

Which Cyclone II dev board is it? 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

de01 cyclone ii ep2c20f484c7

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you program the FPGA via JTAG? You should always be able to do this, regardless of the position of the RUN/PROG switch. 

If you're concerned whether the board is broken try reprogramming the factory default image into the EPCS. It's available on the resource CD that comes with the board. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can you program the FPGA via JTAG? You should always be able to do this, regardless of the position of the RUN/PROG switch. 

If you're concerned whether the board is broken try reprogramming the factory default image into the EPCS. It's available on the resource CD that comes with the board. 

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for your reply, i will reprogram it and see whether it will work or not.
0 Kudos