Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

DE0-Nano-SoC and VIP Frame Buffer II application

MBjor2
Beginner

Hi,

The aim is to create a VIP Frame Buffer II application in the DE0-Nano-SoC development kit that processes image data according to certain algorithms. At one end I have a camera and at the other end, a VGA screen monitor, where the monitor should reflect what the camera is monitoring.

Background

To get started, I have designed a test application with Frame Buffer II IP (in Reader mode(?)) with the connection (D5M --> CVI --> FB II --> CPR --> CVO --> VGA) in DE0-Nano-SoC development kit. I note that HW and SW part in DE0-Nano-SoC executes well (until a certain point) and D5M, CVI, FB II, CPR, CVO, and VGA interface and screen monitor works well. When the Go bit is set to "1" in Frame Buffer IP, the monitor starts reflecting what the camera is monitoring.

In appendix 1.pdf, you find the VIP Frame Buffer II parameter editor settings.

Initial questions

In Frame Buffer IP documents, there is written about two or three intermediate buffers that can be used. My questions are:

• Passes this data in my above working Frame Buffer II application through these intermediate buffers before it reaches the Dout signal out from Frame Buffer II IP or
  • Passes this data instead, straight through, i.e. into the Din- and out from Dout signal, without passing through these intermediate buffers in the Frame Buffer II IP?

In my above application everything works fine, but:

• After I have started the Frame Buffer II with the Go-bit, why stops the processor completely execute the code (I have opened the memory with mmap function against memory area where the intermediate buffers are allocated in RAM)?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ZH_Intel
Employee

Hi Mats Bjorkvist,

Good Day.

Apologize for the delayed response.

Your question is unclear to me.

You are asking whether to use frame buffer or not right? is my understanding the same?

May I know what do you mean by "After I have started the Frame Buffer II with the Go-bit, why stops the processor completely execute the code"? do you mean the design stops?

Thank you.

Best Regards,

ZulsyafiqH_Intel

0 Kudos
MBjor2
Beginner

Hi, ZulsyafiqH_Intel

Thank you for the respond. I have already a (basic) VIP frame buffer application build up and, so far, decided to use this for my Image Processing service. However., to be able to go forward and build-up this application, I need some answers regarding application. But let us take one question in time.

Question:

• After I have initiated and started the Frame Buffer II with the Go-bit and D5M, CVI, FB II, CPR, CVO, and VGA interface monitors the Camera picture, a problem comes up. When Go-bit is set, then processor stops executing and going forward in the code. What could be the reason to the stuck/stop (I have opened the memory with mmap  against memory area where the frame buffer intermediate buffers are allocated in RAM)?

Let us return to the other questions later.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ZH_Intel
Employee

Hi Mats Bjorkvist,

Good Day.

Apologize for the delayed response.

>After I have initiated and started the Frame Buffer II with the Go-bit and D5M, CVI, FB II, CPR, CVO, and VGA

>interface monitors the Camera picture, a problem comes up. When Go-bit is set, then processor stops executing

>and going forward in the code. What could be the reason to the stuck/stop (I have opened the memory with

>mmap against memory area where the frame buffer intermediate buffers are allocated in RAM)?

I believe this could possibly due to the Go bit gets deasserted by default when enable run-time control.

You may refer to chapter 16.7. Frame Buffer Control Registers of the Video and Image Processing Suite User Guide that states " Setting this bit to 0 causes the IP core to stop the next time control information is read. When you enable run-time control, the Go bit gets deasserted by default. If you do not enable run-time control, the Go is asserted by default. "

Link:

Video and Image Processing Suite User Guide - 16.7. Frame Buffer Control Registers 

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,

ZulsyafiqH_Intel

0 Kudos
ZH_Intel
Employee

Hi Mats Bjorkvist,

Good Day.

Hope my previous reply answers your question.

I wish to follow up with you on this case. Do you still have further inquiries on this issue?

I will remain this loop open for 3 days.

If we do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided.

This thread will be transitioned to community support.

If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get support from Intel experts.

Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

ZulsyafiqH_Intel

0 Kudos
ZH_Intel
Employee

Hi Mats Bjorkvist,

Good Day.

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

ZulsyafiqH_Intel

0 Kudos