Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

DE2-115 and IP Cores

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am doing development, which is intended for a DE2-115 target. 

While waiting for the board arrival, I downloaded Quartus Prime Lite Edition 17.1 and began experimenting with developing FPGA vhdl code, a NIOS II Gen 2 and Ethernet TSE architecture, and some NIOS II 'C' code. After compiling the design (with no errors) I was going through the warnings and noticed the following: 

Warning (12188): Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature is turned on for the following cores 

Warning (12190): "Nios II Processor (6AF7_00A2)" will use the Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature 

Warning (12190): "Triple-Speed Ethernet" will use the Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature 

Warning (265072): Messages from megafunction that supports Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature 

Warning (265073): Messages from megafunction that supports Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature TSE_MAC 

Warning (265074): The Triple Speed Ethernet MegaCore MAC function will be disabled after time-out is reached 

Warning (265073): Messages from megafunction that supports Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature Nios II Processor 

Warning (265074): The reset input will be asserted when the evaluation time expires 

Warning (265069): Megafunction that supports Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature will stop functioning in 1 hour after device is programmed 

Info (265071): Evaluation period of megafunction that supports Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature can be extended indefinitely by using tethered operation. 

Does this mean the Nios II processor and the Ethernet TSE core are unavailable for use with the board? 

Is this a function of using Quartus Prime Lite 17.1 (vs Quartus II Web Edition 9.1 sp2 in the DE2-115 documentation on the SystemCD)? 

What are the restrictions of "Evaluation Mode". Was is required to overcome them?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The TSE IP requires a license. You can use a Nios II, but only the economy version, not the fast version, without a license. These don't happen to be Lite edition limitations. It's just that the IP you're using requires licenses for full, untethered use. 

See the edition comparison here: 

https://www.altera.com/products/design-software/fpga-design/quartus-prime/download.html 

TSE info: 

https://www.altera.com/products/intellectual-property/ip/interface-protocols/m-alt-ethernet-mac.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks! 

Switching to the NIOS II/e (from the NIOS II/f version) got rid of the "Nios II Processor (6AF7_00A2) will use the Intel FPGA IP Evaluation Mode feature " warning. 

I don't need the full-processor at this stage, I just happened to choose it. The application is simple enough not to require the NIOS II/f version. 

I knew about the TSE License requirement, so I was less worried about that. I will have access to one shortly.
0 Kudos