Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

DECA Board: PLL frequency signal distortion for MHz frequencies

Isaacs
Beginner

Hello,

I'm working with the DECA board, I'm using the Basic Function to generate a PLL with the ALTPLL tool. Everything works fine with lower frequency from 1kHz-1MHz, the problem stars when I'm trying to generate higher frequency like 5MHz to 100MHz, the input clock is the base clock of 50MHz. 

For the higher frequency the distortion of the square signal start to figure out as a sinusoidal signal, I attach different reference image from the oscilloscope for the distortion signal at different high frequencies.

I want to know if this is a normal behavior of the DECA board, or I'm messing any additional configuration, I base on documentation "1_FPGA_Intro_Lab" from the DECA board to configure the ALTPLL 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I see that this query was left unattended. Do you still need support on this or were you able to resolve on your own?

Regards

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Putting my thought anyway.

What compensation mode did you use?

Check if you are driving the PLL output clock to a FPGA pin which is creating some contention on board? Try assigning to other pin.

Check the clock internally using Signal Tap Analyzer.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos