Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20684 Discussions

De10 nano and arduino communication

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can some one teach me how can i communicate between de10 nano fpga board and arduino uno. I need to send data from de10 nano to arduino uno via serial communication to the tx rx pin of the arduino.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

do you want to write hdl, are you using a softcore, arm processor or do you have other ideas? 

What did you try? We'll help you where you get stuck. It seems you have chosen the communication protocol, so you have investigated that. What will be your next step, what do you aleady know, what is the level of your experience with fpga's?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

do you want to write hdl, are you using a softcore, arm processor or do you have other ideas? 

What did you try? We'll help you where you get stuck. It seems you have chosen the communication protocol, so you have investigated that. What will be your next step, what do you aleady know, what is the level of your experience with fpga's? 

--- Quote End ---  

I want to implement a fpga verilog/vhdl code to generate a 4 digit random number (1000-9999) by using things like LFSR. I have good experience with arduino but very new to fpga. I have only 3 pins left with arduino. Hence after doing some research i came to a conclusion that I cant use SPI or I2C. I can use only uart Serial data transmission which i can connect with arduino tx rx pins and also it is very easy to code in arduino for receiving the serial data. But before generating the random number i want to first try with sending some predefined data. As im new to FPGA i dont know about verilog programming and how to implement uart in fpga. I cant write verilog codes from scratch but i hope can read and understand example codes and modify them to my needs. so kindly help me in establishing the hardware and the program.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to know that you don't write software for FPGAs. You design hardware and thus the way you think about it needs to change. Maybe you can use the processor part of the SoC, but I am not familiar with Altera/Intel SoCs. If so you might postpone the HDL coding till after the link setup. If you want to learn HDL I reccommend you read a/some books. I don't know if there is a good first-step resource on the web. 

Check this post for book reccomendations. https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41998
0 Kudos