Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

Direct B-LVDS and Hot-Swap in CycloneIV

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys! 

I dont know how to contact altera directly so iam asking for help you. 

Iam working on project where i will use CycloneIV on hot swappable cards. BLVDS and diff clock inputs will be connected directly (through 50 Ohm terminator) to connector. I've found that cyclone III is hot swappable but i dont know if it is able in Cyclone IV too. Or is better to use buffer? 

Please advise 

Many thaks!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Per my understanding cyclone iv supporting hot socketing feature as well, not sure if you are looking to this feature?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

by the way to contact altera directly, just go to www.altere.com/mysupport create an account and open a service request.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To add on regarding contacting Altera Mysupport, you would require to provide valid company email for validation before you can the support. I understand that if using generic email, the request will be rejected.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Marko5211, 

Cyclone IV supports hot socketing. You can refer to the Cyclone IV device handbook chapter 11 and look for "Hot-Socketing Specifications" section for details.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys. Ive tried to register with my official email but they did not recognize .technology domain...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you mean the MySupport system rejected your email? My understanding is after creating an account and file a service request, you will need to go through an account verification process. Basically the Altera service request admin will contact you for verification.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Marko, 

Somehow I believe it would be better to use buffer. Some of the advantages of buffer are they can be easily swap if damaged. In the case your application would require extremem hot socketing, is best to consider a buffer that can take that sort of abuse.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I will protect diff pair with esd protection ics from TI but ive got one question. What is the maximum reachable speed of blvds on cyclone IV? I want to use 196,608 Mbps and synced with clock over backbone on pll diff input with 393,216MHz driven by other cyclone IV blvds output.What do you think? Is it applicable? Many thanks for advice!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I ask due to insufficient information in cyclone datasheet.

0 Kudos