Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20680 Discussions

Dual-port access avalon memory simulation problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have created an Avalon dual access on-chip memory in Qsys and tried to simulate it, with success, everything worked just fine. Then I put this module in a VHDL component, and did nothing, just led out the signals without changing. Now when I simulate it, it throws me the error message below(ERROR_1). It says that it is suppressible, so I tried to suppress it, and it returns me the error message below(ERROR_2). It is really weird, as when I look at the altsyncram component in the RTL viewer, the data_a port is clearly 32 bits wide, as should be(see picture attached). A picture of the component is also attached. 

What I am trying to do is to have a memory with read and write access from one port(gonna connect it later to the PCIe megafunction), and one port with read access from the application layer. I have seen some code interfacing a memory to the application layer, but it wasn't in any way simpler than mine, and I suppose just leading out ports should work. 

Thanks, 

Tibor 

ERROR_1: 

# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-10000) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(103): Unresolved defparam reference to 'the_altsyncram' in the_altsyncram.address_reg_b.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0 File: /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-10000) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(104): Unresolved defparam reference to 'the_altsyncram' in the_altsyncram.byte_size.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0 File: /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-10000) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(105): Unresolved defparam reference to 'the_altsyncram' in the_altsyncram.byteena_reg_b.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0 File: /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-10000) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(106): Unresolved defparam reference to 'the_altsyncram' in the_altsyncram.indata_reg_b.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0 File: /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-10000) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(107): Unresolved defparam reference to 'the_altsyncram' in the_altsyncram.init_file.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0 File: /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-10000) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(108): Unresolved defparam reference to 'the_altsyncram' in the_altsyncram.lpm_type.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0 File: /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-10000) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(109): Unresolved defparam reference to 'the_altsyncram' in the_altsyncram.maximum_depth.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0 File: /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v# ** Error (suppressible): (vsim-10000) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(110): Unresolved defparam reference to 'the_altsyncram' in the_altsyncram.numwords_a.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0 File: /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v . . . 

ERROR_2 

# ** Warning: (vsim-8822) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(85): - Missing Verilog connection for formal VHDL port 'rden_a'.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0/the_altsyncram File: /home/work/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem/../altera/vhdl/src/altera_mf/altera_mf.vhd# ** Warning: (vsim-8822) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(85): - Missing Verilog connection for formal VHDL port 'rden_b'.# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0/the_altsyncram File: /home/work/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem/../altera/vhdl/src/altera_mf/altera_mf.vhd# ** Fatal: (vsim-3363) /home/work/Desktop/Quartus_projects/workswell/LVDS_DESER/db/ip/temp_table/submodules/temp_table_onchip_memory2_0.v(85): The array length (1) of VHDL port 'data_a' does not match the width (32) of its Verilog connection (9th connection).# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: /tau2_temp_calculate_tb/tau2_temp_calculate_inst/temp_table_inst/onchip_memory2_0/the_altsyncram File: /home/work/intelFPGA_lite/16.1/modelsim_ase/linuxaloem/../altera/vhdl/src/altera_mf/altera_mf.vhd Line: 39911
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The error messages indicate "missing Verilog connection for formal VHDL port." Are you missing some connections? What does the code to instantiate this look like?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Thank you for your reply, you can find the code to instantiate the component below. I do not think I left anything unconnected, as you can see on the picture attached(I unchecked the reset request option on generation). 

LIBRARY ieee; 

USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all;  

LIBRARY work; 

ENTITY tau2_temp_calculate IS  

PORT( onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk : IN STD_LOGIC; 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_address : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(13 DOWNTO 0); 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_readdata : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(31 DOWNTO 0); 

onchip_memory2_0_clk2_clk : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_reset2_reset : in std_logic; -- onchip_memory2_0_reset2.reset  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_address : in std_logic_vector(13 downto 0); -- onchip_memory2_0_s2.address 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_chipselect : in std_logic; -- .chipselect 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_clken : in std_logic; -- .clken 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_write : in std_logic; -- .write 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_readdata : out std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); -- .readdata 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_writedata : in std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); -- .writedata 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_byteenable : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); 

onchip_memory2_0_reset1_reset : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_clken : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_chipselect : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_write : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_writedata : in std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_byteenable : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0) 

); 

END tau2_temp_calculate; 

ARCHITECTURE bdf_type OF tau2_temp_calculate IS 

COMPONENT temp_table 

port ( 

onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_reset2_reset : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_address : in std_logic_vector(13 downto 0);  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_readdata : out std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_byteenable : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_address : in std_logic_vector(13 downto 0); 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_chipselect : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_clken : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_write : in std_logic;  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_readdata : out std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_writedata : in std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_byteenable : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0)  

); 

END COMPONENT; 

begin 

temp_table_inst: temp_table 

PORT MAP( 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_readdata=> onchip_memory2_0_s1_readdata, 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_address => onchip_memory2_0_s1_address, 

onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk=>onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk, 

onchip_memory2_0_reset1_reset=>onchip_memory2_0_reset1_reset,  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_clken => onchip_memory2_0_s1_clken,  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_chipselect=> onchip_memory2_0_s1_chipselect,  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_write => onchip_memory2_0_s1_write,  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_writedata=> onchip_memory2_0_s1_writedata, 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_byteenable=> onchip_memory2_0_s1_byteenable, 

onchip_memory2_0_clk2_clk =>onchip_memory2_0_clk2_clk,  

onchip_memory2_0_reset2_reset => onchip_memory2_0_reset2_reset,  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_address => onchip_memory2_0_s2_address,  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_chipselect => onchip_memory2_0_s2_chipselect,  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_clken => onchip_memory2_0_s2_clken,  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_write => onchip_memory2_0_s2_write,  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_readdata =>onchip_memory2_0_s2_readdata,  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_writedata => onchip_memory2_0_s2_writedata,  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_byteenable => onchip_memory2_0_s2_byteenable  

); 

END bdf_type;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The code for my testbench is: 

LIBRARY altera_mf ;  

LIBRARY ieee ;  

LIBRARY std ;  

USE altera_mf.all ;  

USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all ;  

USE ieee.std_logic_textio.all ;  

USE ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all ;  

use ieee.numeric_std.all;  

USE std.textio.all ;  

ENTITY tau2_temp_calculate_tb IS  

END ;  

ARCHITECTURE tau2_temp_calculate_tb_arch OF tau2_temp_calculate_tb IS 

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk : STD_LOGIC; 

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s1_address : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(13 DOWNTO 0); 

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s1_readdata : STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(31 DOWNTO 0); 

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_clk2_clk : std_logic;  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_reset2_reset : std_logic;  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s2_address : std_logic_vector(13 downto 0);  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s2_chipselect : std_logic;  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s2_clken : std_logic;  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s2_write : std_logic;  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s2_readdata : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s2_writedata : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s2_byteenable : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); 

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_reset1_reset : std_logic;  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s1_clken : std_logic;  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s1_chipselect : std_logic;  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s1_write : std_logic;  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s1_writedata : std_logic_vector(31 downto 0);  

SIGNAL onchip_memory2_0_s1_byteenable : std_logic_vector(3 downto 0);  

COMPONENT tau2_temp_calculate 

PORT( 

onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk : IN STD_LOGIC; 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_address : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(13 DOWNTO 0); 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_readdata : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(31 DOWNTO 0); 

onchip_memory2_0_reset2_reset : in std_logic; -- onchip_memory2_0_reset2.reset  

onchip_memory2_0_s2_address : in std_logic_vector(13 downto 0); -- onchip_memory2_0_s2.address 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_chipselect : in std_logic; -- .chipselect 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_clken : in std_logic; -- .clken 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_write : in std_logic; -- .write 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_readdata : out std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); -- .readdata 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_writedata : in std_logic_vector(31 downto 0); -- .writedata 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_byteenable : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0); 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_byteenable : in std_logic_vector(3 downto 0) 

); 

END COMPONENT; 

BEGIN 

tau2_temp_calculate_inst: tau2_temp_calculate 

PORT MAP( 

onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk =>onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk, 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_address =>onchip_memory2_0_s1_address, 

onchip_memory2_0_clk2_clk =>'0', 

onchip_memory2_0_reset2_reset=>'0', 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_address=>(others => '0'), 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_chipselect=>'0', 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_clken=>'0', 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_write=>'0', 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_readdata=>onchip_memory2_0_s2_readdata, 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_writedata=>(others => '0'), 

onchip_memory2_0_s2_byteenable=>(others => '0'), 

onchip_memory2_0_reset1_reset=>'0',  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_clken => '1',  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_chipselect=> '1',  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_write => '0',  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_writedata => "00000000000000000000000000000000",  

onchip_memory2_0_s1_byteenable=> (others => '1')  

); 

Process 

variable DataIN : unsigned(13 downto 0);  

Begin  

DataIN:=to_unsigned(0,DataIN'length); 

for Z in 1 to 16383  

loop 

onchip_memory2_0_s1_address <= std_logic_vector(DataIN) ; 

wait for 47532 ps; 

DataIN:=DataIN+to_unsigned(1,DataIN'length); 

end loop;  

wait; 

End Process; 

Process 

Begin 

for Z in 1 to 16383 

loop  

onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk <= '1' ; 

wait for 23766 ps ; --"1" period:1/2*(10^12/147.27*10^6) 

onchip_memory2_0_clk1_clk <= '0' ; 

wait for 23766 ps ; --"0" period:1/2*(10^12/147.27*10^6) 

end loop; 

wait;  

End Process; 

END;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think I found a possible cause for the problem. I am using Modelsim Starter Edition, my surrounding code is in VHDL, while the code generated by Qsys is in verilog. The Starter Edition for what I´ve seen does not support mixed-language simulation, so this may well be at the root of the problem. Does anyone know whether it is possible to generate the tempcalc_onchip_memory2.0.v and the functions used in it in VDHL instead of verilog? Choosing to create HDL design files for synthesis does not change this generated file. 

UPDATE: 

I have recreated my surrounding modules in verilog(there are some decent VHDL->verilog converters online, I chose vhd2vl), and run the simulation with those, generating the whole qsys module in verilog too. The simulation works without a problem now.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I think I found a possible cause for the problem. I am using Modelsim Starter Edition, my surrounding code is in VHDL, while the code generated by Qsys is in verilog. The Starter Edition for what I´ve seen does not support mixed-language simulation, so this may well be at the root of the problem. Does anyone know whether it is possible to generate the tempcalc_onchip_memory2.0.v and the functions used in it in VDHL instead of verilog? Choosing to create HDL design files for synthesis does not change this generated file. 

UPDATE: 

I have recreated my surrounding modules in verilog(there are some decent VHDL->verilog converters online, I chose vhd2vl), and run the simulation with those, generating the whole qsys module in verilog too. The simulation works without a problem now. 

--- Quote End ---  

To fix this issue the "altera_mf_ver" library must be called before the "altera_mf" library. 

For example 

vsim -t ps -novopt -L altera_mf_ver -L altera_mf
0 Kudos