Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20639 Discussions

EMIF SPEC ESTIMATOR - ARRIA 10 WITH DDR4

LSOCH
Beginner

Hi , i have a question regarding ARRIA 10 10AX022E4F27I3LG device connection to a DDR4 single device MT40A512M16LY-062E IT.
the clock for the DDR4 is 800Mhz max in our design.
The DDR4 p/n i mentioned support the highest DDR4 speed grade which is 1600Mhz clock (but we want to use a maximum 800Mhz clock ).
I tried to use the EMIF spec estimator but i dont understand if i can work with the 10AX022E4F27I3LG connected to the MT40A512M16LY-062E IT
?

what does the column "memory device speed grade" in the EMIF spec estimator mean? if it says 933 Mhz does that mean i cannot work with the -062E DDR4 device which support 1600 Mhz ?

Thanks,
Lior

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rashmi1
Employee

Hi Lior,

Please refer to the below youtube

tutorial regarding EMIF spec estimator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmVs_oCE5c

1) what does the column "memory device speed grade" in the EMIF spec

estimator mean?

-- Memory vendor data sheets will provide information regarding the speed grade. Please refer to your vendor datasheet to enter this value in the spec estimator. 

Thanks,

Intel Forum support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rashmi1
Employee

Hi Lior,

Please refer to the below youtube

tutorial regarding EMIF spec estimator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGmVs_oCE5c

1) what does the column "memory device speed grade" in the EMIF spec

estimator mean?

-- Memory vendor data sheets will provide information regarding the speed grade. Please refer to your vendor datasheet to enter this value in the spec estimator. 

Thanks,

Intel Forum support

0 Kudos
LSOCH
Beginner

Hi ,

I will try to ask the question in a different way.

I am using the DDR4 with the highest speed bin  MT40A512M16LY-062E   (062E means 1600Mhz clock means 3200 MT/S).

but , I want to work with a 800Mhz clock not with 1600mhz clock. ( clock from the ARRIA 10 to the DDR4)

in the Quartus EMIF IP wizard in the MEM TIMING tab in the SPEED BIN the highest speed bin which is available is 2666 MT/S and not 3200 MT/S.

can i use the 3200 MT/S DDR4 device (operated with 800Mhz clock) although its speed bin is not available in the Quartus EMIF IP wizard  ?  

Hope that now my question is clear.

Thanks,

Lior

0 Kudos
Rashmi1
Employee

HI Lior,

Sorry for not getting your question right in the first place.

Yes, You can select 2666MT/S speed bin , but enter the timing values associated with 3200 MT/S referring to memory datasheet.

Please enter Parameters dependent on speed bin, operation frequency and page size associate with 800 MHZ values.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos