Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

EPCS controller access serial flash memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I have the schematic of the NIOS processor which has been sent by the client in which he has a STM M25p32 serial flash memory.......whereas in the system.h file produced from the given sof and ptf file, i can see only the EPCS controller....If the flash is M25P32 then why is EPCS flash controller in my system.h file.....as far as i know EPCS flash controller can access only the EPCS devices like EPCS4 EPCS16 etc.....Am i right??? 

My question is i want to read the silicon ID of the M25P32 flash device, whether i can use the EPCS flash controller drivers to access the M25P32 flash device...If not how can i read the silicon ID...how can i access it...How do i debug it... 

Please help me guys... 

Thanks a lot in advance...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Basically, ST M25Pxx devices are software compatible to EPCS. But cause no EPCS32 exists, M25P32 is most likely not recognized by the Altera tools.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks a lot for your precious time and help 

Oh k.....If that is the case , the presence of an EPCS controller in my system.h is of no use...I mean the drivers of EPCS controller provided to access the flash memory to read or write are of no use...right????Here is my system.h file attached 

Then how do i access the M25p32 flash device inorder to read and write data on it......how do i send the opcode to it to read the silicon ID.... 

Please need help....
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

maheshv_1203, 

I have a board that's a CycloneIII with NiosII in there and an Atmel 32Mbits serial Flash connected to Active Serial pins for FPGA configuration. I just found out by experimentation that flashing via SFL or via NiosII Flash Programmer does not work for this 32Mbits flash. When I dropped in an EPCS16 device, both methods work. So if you have to go with non-Altera, try using a Flash with same density of a supported EPCS, and try to go with Numonyx (ST Micro) since they make Altera's EPCS devices.
0 Kudos