I am using Cyclone III devices with EPCS16, with quartus 9.1(!!)
I want to know:
- can I replace the IC into EPCQ16A?
- What is the quartus version that support the new devuce?
- can I get some samples for evaluation?
Hi Rami Damari,
If you look at AN822 (Table 4 on page 9), the Intel Quartus software support EPCQ-A device starting from version 17.1 and later.
However, EPCQ-A device can be programmed with old JIC files created for EPCS/EPCQ device. Unfortunately, there are some conditions you need to follow in order to program with old JIC file. These are the conditions:
- If the target serial flash was an EPCS/EPCQ device of density <= 64Mb.
- If the EPCS/EPCQ device was only used for FPGA configuration and the design did not have any instances of ASMI Parallel IP / Serial Flash Loader (SFL) IP or any other serial flash controller IPs.
- If the designs target pre 28nm Intel® FPGAs, i.e. devices prior to Arria® V, Cyclone® V, or Stratix®V.
For your case, you are using Quartus 9.1 version and Cyclone III, EPCQ-A device would not support your FPGA and Quartus.