Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Each power on communication data corruption

ADhar4
Novice

Hi,

We made a custom design using cyclone 5 FPGA device. This board has Ethernet, SFP, RS422 communications & discrete signal as input & output ports. The functionality is Board will receive the RS422 signals data & transmitted through SFP module. Similarly receive the other end from SFP data & transmitted to RS422 communication channel.  For testing purpose SFP module is loop backed( transmit & receive shorted with small patch FO cable). Here we used IP core (transceiver PHY IP) for communication through SFP module.

After programming board,  each power ON of the board, some times my data input & output is working fine without any issue but some time data is corrupted. i.e., RS422 transmit & receive data is different & continued. then need to power off the board & power up again until data is valid. Please help to resolve the this issue.

Regards,

Arunagiri.D

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hi, 

I am Farabi supporting this case. May I request further information like any screen shot of waveform of SFP or indication that showing intermittent transmission failures. We can start our debug form that point. 

information that might help us to debug:

1. what speed you run for RS422 (max 10Mbps)

2. how long is your RS422 cable? 

3. If you use short cable (less than 10m) is the intermittent failure still persist? 

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
ADhar4
Novice

Hi Farabi,

Thanks for your response. Please find attached screenshot of output data packet details.

1. what speed you run for RS422 (max 10Mbps)  -  Max baud rate : 38400

2. how long is your RS422 cable?  -  Less than 2m cable

3. If you use short cable (less than 10m) is the intermittent failure still persist? - Yes

For better understanding explaining details again, have a design with Cyclone v transceiver native phy IP. Logic receive UART data and framing it with header, tailor and sending it to IP.IP send it serially to SFP fibre cable which is loopbacked to the same board and data from the fibre is getting deframed and send it to UART again. I programmed FPGA using memory(JIC file, SOF is converted to JIC for memory configuration).I loaded my code into flash it was working fine .If i power off my board, the output is null with the same working code. But it's happening occasionally on the power sequence. Any help on this!!!!

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hi, 

Is it possible to loop back the SFP internally? I mean the data does not going through loopback cable, instead, the output of SFP connected to input of the SFP module internally. This is to filter out PHY and cable issue, and focus to the internal data processing issue.

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hi, 

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos