cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Error when using University Program VwF

I'm using Quartus 16.1 

I want to simulate, but when I press Run functional simulation this error occur 

Warning (18236): Number of processors has not been specified which may cause overloading on shared machines. Set the global assignment NUM_PARALLEL_PROCESSORS in your QSF to an appropriate value for best performance. 

Error (199014): Vector source file C:/Users/myusername/Desktop/veri/Waveform1.vwf specified with --testbench_vector_input_file option does not exist 

Error: Quartus Prime EDA Netlist Writer was unsuccessful. 1 error, 1 warning 

Error: Peak virtual memory: 471 megabytes 

Error: Processing ended: Fri Dec 30 22:56:30 2016 

Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:01 

Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:01 

Error.  

"
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Re: Error when using University Program VwF

Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

You need to do these five things for Quartus simulation; 

1) Tell Quartus to use ModelSim-Altera for the simulation tools (Assignments - EDA Tool Settings - Simulation). 

2) Tell Quartus to generate a netlist for functional simulation (Assignments - EDA Tool Settings - Simulation - More EDA Netlist Writer Settings - Generate Functional Simulation Netlist - ON). 

3) Tell Quartus to use VHDL for the simulation netlist (Assignments - EDA Tool Settings - Simulation - Format for Output Netlist - VHDL) 

4) Tell Quartus where to put the simulation netlist (Assignments - EDA Tool Settings - Simulation - Output Directory). This is usually the "simulation" folder. 

5) Tell the simulator (in the simulation waveform editor) to use VHDL for the netlist language (Simulation - Simulation Settings - Use VHDL). 

Good Luck.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Hi, 

I'm total beginner and have exactly same problem as described above. 

I downloaded Quartus Prime (includes Nios II EDS) (http://dl.altera.com/?edition=lite&platform=windows&version_number=16.1&dlm3_download=1&dlm3_contain...). It installed to C:\intelFPGA_lite\16.1 

I created project and then wanted to do some simulation. As described in this document ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/altera_material/16.1/tutorials/vhdl/quartus_ii_simulation.pdf one have to create University Program VWF. When I clicked Run Functional Simulation I got "ModelSim executable not found." error. 

I downloaded ModelSim-Intel FPGA Edition (includes Starter Edition) (http://dl.altera.com/?edition=lite&platform=windows&version_number=16.1&dlm3_download=1&dlm3_contain...). It installed to C:\intelFPGA\16.1. 

In Quartus Prime Lite Edition I manually set Tools -> Options -> General -> EDA Tool Options ->ModelSim to C:\intelFPGA\16.1\modelsim_ase\win32aloem (I'm not sure whether the path is right, as I found no tutorial or manual where this is described) 

In Simulation Waveform Editor I clicked Run Functional Simulation and I got Error (199014) (as described above). 

I did all settings as described by gj_leeson, but the error persists. 

Can you please help?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Hello, do you manage to solve the problem ? Because i had the same problem here. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, do you manage to solve the problem ? Because i had the same problem here. Thank you. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello there, 

I am facing exactly the same problem. Can anyone please describe how you have solved the problem ? 

:):):)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Hi, i´m starting with Quartus and find the same problem. The "solution" that i´ve found is not change the name of the .vwf file. When the name is the default one, "waveform.vwf", I have no problem. If I change it, i got trouble.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

One more thing to try; In the waveform editor, Simulation -> Simulation Settings -> Restore Defaults

Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Thanks!! The default tip was very useful

Highlighted
Beginner

Yeah! the "Restore Defaults" technique is useful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Default Restore did not work for me. Still getting the same error, even though netlist works before I run waveform.1bitfulladdererror.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I also had this problem and it looks like I found an easy workaround:

a) Remove bad wave form file;

b) Clean and rebuild project

c) Create new Waveform.vwf but save it in the project root (not output_files).

d)Press "Generate Modelsim..."

For some reason in my case the vwf file was created in output_files until I forced it to be at the right place. And I also followed the advice to declare path to ModelSim