Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

FIFO output BigEndian or LittleEndian!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi,when using FIFO of LPM,output width is made different from input width,if I make input[63:0] and output[7:0],the waveform shows that the output starts from the LSB of the input ,ie,[7:0]、[15:8]、[23:16]...so,how can I make it starts from the MSB of the input?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Swap the byte-order at the input to the FIFO. 

Regards, 

Thomas
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi!So u mean that change the source data sequence at the input port first?If don't,there is no way?But I think that it will that a clk cycle...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The FIFO is little endian so if you want the output to be big endian then like tentner said reverse the byte lanes of the input before the data enters the FIFO. This is just wires and will not affect the timing or latency at all. 

So if your 64 bit input to the FIFO was called "data" and you want to reverse the data just do something like this (in verilog) and pass "reversed_data" to the input of the FIFO instead: 

assign reversed_data = {data[7:0], data[15:8], ...... ,data[55:48], data[63:56]};
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The FIFO is little endian so if you want the output to be big endian then like tentner said reverse the byte lanes of the input before the data enters the FIFO. This is just wires and will not affect the timing or latency at all. 

So if your 64 bit input to the FIFO was called "data" and you want to reverse the data just do something like this (in verilog) and pass "reversed_data" to the input of the FIFO instead: 

assign reversed_data = {data[7:0], data[15:8], ...... ,data[55:48], data[63:56]}; 

--- Quote End ---  

I think I got your brilliant idea!Indeed,it is!Thank U so much!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The answer is somewhat more complex: the swapping depends on what your 64 bits at the input represent. For a 64 bit packet representing 8 bytes in little-endian we basically have 4 choices in big-endian format:  

8 bit words -> the byte order remains -> b0 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 

16 bit words -> swap/reverse every pair -> b1 b0 b3 b2 b5 b4 b7 b6 

32 bit words -> swap/reverse every quad -> b3 b2 b1 b0 b7 b6 b5 b4 

64 bit words -> reverse all 8 -> b7 b6 b5 b4 b3 b2 b1 b0
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The answer is somewhat more complex: the swapping depends on what your 64 bits at the input represent. For a 64 bit packet representing 8 bytes in little-endian we basically have 4 choices in big-endian format: 

8 bit words -> the byte order remains -> b0 b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 

16 bit words -> swap/reverse every pair -> b1 b0 b3 b2 b5 b4 b7 b6 

32 bit words -> swap/reverse every quad -> b3 b2 b1 b0 b7 b6 b5 b4 

64 bit words -> reverse all 8 -> b7 b6 b5 b4 b3 b2 b1 b0 

--- Quote End ---  

you are right.Actrually,It's 64 bit words in this case.You just reminded me other cases that I've not noticed.In my case,I need input [63:0]data to the FIFO,and read out as the sequence of [63:56]、[55:48].....[7:0].So I must reverse all bytes at the input port first.
0 Kudos