Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

FPGA MAX 10: JTAG secure mode

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I would like to Enable JTAG secure mode in MAX 10 device. While generating encrypted .pof file; it doesn't show any option to enable/diable JTAG security mode. What would be a best way to do that? 

Thank you, 

Regards, 

Jay
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jay, 

These are the steps to set the secure JTAG settings on your device: 

1. On the File menu, click Convert Programming Files. 

2. Under Output programming file, select Programmer Object File (.pof) in the Programming file type list. 

3. In the Mode list, select Internal Configuration . 

4. To set the ICB settings, click option/boot info and the icb setting dialog box will appear.  

5. Select the jtag secure option. 

6. Verify Protect. 

7. Allow encrypted POF only 

8. After all settings are set, click Generate to generate related programming file. 

the jtag secure feature will be disabled by default in intel quartus prime. if you are interested in using the jtag secure feature, contact intel for support.  

max 10 fpga device would become permanently locked if you enabled jtag secure mode in the pof file and pof is encrypted with the wrong key. you must instantiate the internal jtag interface for you unlock the external jtag when the device is in jtag secure 

mode.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thank you for guidance. I am using Quartus 17.1 and not seeing the option of "JTAG SECURE" under ICB Settings.  

Also, note below instructions says that, "it is disabled by default in Quartus Prime." To enable it, do I have to buy different license? What will be a way to enable/see JTAG SECURE option under ICB settings.  

Thank you!!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Jay, 

I think you need to get in touch with Intel/Altera customer support to enable that feature. It may also be available only on the paid version of Quartus, not sure though. I'd suggest you contact Intel/Altera customer support, send them a mail, and see what they reply.  

-Abr
0 Kudos