Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

FPGA lead finish / tin whiskers

Michael112
Beginner

We have a legacy product that was designed using the Altera EPM7192SQC160-10 and we require additional components for support and repair. I have noted that the currently available product is RoHS compliant (EPM7192SQC160-10N). The ALTERA WP-CHMFGRELLDFR-2.0 white paper indicates that the leads may be plated with either "matte tin" or "tin/2% copper". Can you please advise the lead finish(s) on the EPM7192SQC160-10N and can you please advise if pure tin is used anywhere in the manufacturing of the product? Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChiaLing_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting Intel Community. For your information, the common part number with the ‘N’ suffix at the last character represented the RoHS compliance (RoHS 6/6) part. For example, EPM7192SQC160-10N which ends with the ‘N’ suffix indicated it is RoHS compliant whereas without the ‘N’ suffix would be RoHS's non-compliant part. For further details, please click on the RoHS Compliant link for further details: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/programmable/temperature.html

For EPM7192SQC160-10N, it is a lead-free product that contains Sn-3-4% silver(Ag)-0.5% Cu solder balls according to this white paper below:

https://www.intel.cn/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/wp/wp_chmfgrelldfr.pdf

Thank you

Regards,

Chia Ling

0 Kudos
Michael112
Beginner

I had previously read that paper but it did not provide a definitive answer regarding the specific lead finish used on the EPM7192SQC160-10N. The information that I have indicates that the EPM7192SQC160-10N is in a leaded package (not in a BGA package). The paper indicates that "the industry has accepted the use of eutectic Sn-Ag-Cu for solder balls and either matte Sn or Sn-2%Cu for lead finishes". Given that the information I have indicates that this is a leaded package the paper indicates the use of "either matte Sn or Sn-2%Cu  for lead finishes". I had previously read this paper and was wanting to know if the EPM7192SQC160-10N used a matte Sn lead finish, or a Sn-2%Cu lead finish, or both (or either) lead finishes depending upon the manufacturing run.

0 Kudos
ChiaLing_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Michael,

EPM7192SQC160-10N is a lead-free product. By referring to the 160-Pin Plastic Quad Flat Pack (PQFP) - wire bond packaging datasheet, the lead finish of lead-free product is Matte Sn.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ds/pkgds.pdf#page=77

Thank you

Regards,

Chia Ling

0 Kudos
ChiaLing_T_Intel
Employee

Hi Michael

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread.

Thank you

Regards,

Chia Ling

0 Kudos