Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

FPGA outputs nothing

AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner

I have a custom made board with a MAX10 FPGA. I had this board working for about one year without issues. Last week I replaced the 10M04SCE144C8G old FPGA with  a brand new 10M08SCE144I7G. I changed the device selection in Quartus to match the new FPGA. Now I can program it using Quartus Lite (I get a "success" message) but the outputs of the FPGA are just fixed at 3.3 V (logic 1). Is there any "one time configuration" that has to be done when the device is new?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Did you recompile the Quartus project for the new device?

0 Kudos
AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner

Yes, I did recompile the project after selecting the new device. I am suspecting of a fake device. I bought it in a random place in Hong Kong because of the shortage in all reliable distributors. However aesthetically it looks very nice and also the "autodetect" feature on the JTAG programmer does detect the correct device. What I cannot do is to program the flash memory.

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

What do you mean by programming flash? Writing .pof or some manual things? Can you get output when programming with .sof?

0 Kudos
AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner

Yes, so if I select the `.sof` file I can click on the "program" button and after it does something Quartus says "success" with the green light. In this case, however, the FPGA does nothing, it is as if nothing was done. If I try also with the `.pof` file it says "failed" and I get `Error (209031): Device chain in Chain Description File does not match physical device chain -- expected 2 device(s) but found 1 device(s).`.

Screenshot_2022-06-15_09-22-07.png

Screenshot_2022-06-15_09-20-49.png

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

It seems that the reason of failing .pof is you are forgetting the add the flash device. But still you must get output when you programmed .sof succesfully. Did you try simple LED drive or etc., and make sure you correctly mapped your pins. After a new device select the pin mappings will be erased. 

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

... I bought it in a random place in Hong Kong because of the shortage in all reliable distributors ...

You answered your own question as to why your board is not working.

0 Kudos
AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner

I am trying with a very simple dummy project. This is my code:

```verilog

module dummy_project_2(
    input CLOCK1,
    input CLOCK2,
    input CLOCK3,
    input CLOCK4,
    output OUT1,
    output OUT2,
    output test_pin
);
    assign OUT1 = CLOCK1;
    assign OUT2 = 1'b0;
    assign test_pin = 1'b0;

endmodule

```

I have a fast oscilloscope connected to `OUT1` and `OUT2`, and I am using `test_pin` to test random pins. I have set the pins like this:

Screenshot_2022-06-15_11-01-26.png

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Are you able to snapshot the top marking print? I can check if the device coming from intel or not.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
AAAAAAAAAA
Beginner
0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

I have confirmed with QRE by verifying the datecode and lot number. 

This device is genuine device. 

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
GLees
New Contributor II

Do you have the exposed pad on the bottom of the chip connected to ground?

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hi, 

I am waiting for QRE to check the top marking. will update you later. 

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support.
If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts.
Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos