cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

FT2232H in Sync FIFO Mode - TXE# stuck high

hi, 

I have a Moprh-IC-II board and I'm trying to communicate via USB with a FT2232H in Sync FIFO Mode and D2XX Drivers. 

I manage to have the 60MHz clock input (my main fpga clock) from the ft2232h, and i can transfer data from the PC to my fpga via ft2232h with FT_Write(). 

FIFO Mode seems to work as expected on this side. 

The RXF# signal is working, going low when needed (I'm checking signals with SignalTap). 

But I can't send data from my fpga to the pc, the TXE# signal (active low) is stuck high and I can't find how to have it low to be able to receive data... 

If you have any idea on what my issue could come from ? 

Tank you, 

Alexis
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I can't say for sure, I've used the FT2232 many times and not had this problem. Have you checked the obvious, TXE# is connected to an FPGA input pin and not an output being driven high? Have you tried clearing the transmit buffer with FT_Clear()? Have you actually issued an FT_Read()? Does the FT_Read() come back with an error, timeout, etc? What is your host system/OS?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Have you checked the obvious, TXE# is connected to an FPGA input pin and not an output being driven high? 

--- Quote End ---  

Already checked, I proceeded the same way (with a different name of pin obviously, according to the datasheet) with TXE# and RXF# and RXF# works perfectly. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Have you tried clearing the transmit buffer with FT_Clear()? 

--- Quote End ---  

If by FT_Clear you mean FT_Purge without success, I've tried this (can't find any FT_Clear in the D2XX Programmer's guide). 

--- Quote Start ---  

Have you actually issued an FT_Read()? Does the FT_Read() come back with an error, timeout, etc? What is your host system/OS? 

--- Quote End ---  

I can call FT_Read() without any error but I will always have 0 BytesReceived (even if I ask to read several bytes), which is kind of normal because FT_GetQueueStatus always says there is nothing in the receiving buffer. 

TXE# high telling me the ft2232h is never ready to receive any data. 

I'm on Windows7 (32-bit). 

I load my fpga by USB through the channel B of my fifo with the MorphLd Utility, could this be somehow related? 

Edit : loading fpga by JTAG doesn't change anything. 

Many thanks for your help, I'm kind of new to this whole thing. 

Alexis
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Check here http://electro-logic.blogspot.it/2014/03/fpga-comunicazione-ad-alta-velocita_99.html?m=1 

--- Quote End ---  

I've already checked this useful blog, but I can't find what I did differently in my Software part, which I suppose being where my problem come from (receiving buffer not ready to receive). 

I'm using D2XX drivers and not libftdi this shouldn't make a huge difference... 

Here are my actions when trying to configure my device : 

- FT_OpenEx 

- FT_ResetDevice 

- FT_Purge 

- FT_SetBitMode - Reset Mode 

- FT_SetBitMode - Sync FIFO Mode 

- FT_SetLatency - 2ms 

- FT_SetUSBParameters (64 Bytes each) 

- FT_setTimeOuts 

Alexis
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Do you realize that in Sync FIFO mode the FT2232 is a single channel device? When you load your fpga through channel B it must somehow reconfigure the FT2232 for dual channel mode. Are you sure you're switching back to single channel when you try to run in sync FIFO mode?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Do you realize that in Sync FIFO mode the FT2232 is a single channel device? When you load your fpga through channel B it must somehow reconfigure the FT2232 for dual channel mode. Are you sure you're switching back to single channel when you try to run in sync FIFO mode? 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm not sure to fully understand what you mean, I'm sure to use channel B to load my FPGA (with MorphLd utility) and then I use a little GUI made with CVI-LabWindows where I only connect to channel A. 

I manage to have the clock at 60mhz from the fifo in my fpga and the rxf# working fine make me think it's not a problem of channels. 

Alexis
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Yes, you're probably right if you're getting a 60Mhz clock.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

The EEPROM seems right, the Software part too, and I have tested on an other Morph-IC-II to be sure there is no short circuit or bad solder. 

I'm a bit lost again, I don't where to look or what to try anymore. 

Thank you again for your help and ideas. 

Alexis
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Here's some of the code I used to configure channel A for sync fifo mode. Maybe something will stand out. 

UCHAR Mask_A = 0xff; // all outputs 

UCHAR Mode_A = 0x40; // high speed synchronous fifo 

UCHAR Reset_Mode = 0x00;  

UCHAR LatencyTimer = 2; 

// connect with Channel A and set Mode 

ftStatus = FT_Open(device_number_a, &FTDIHandle_A); 

FT_SetBitMode(FTDIHandle_A, 0xff,Reset_Mode); 

Delay(.01); 

FT_SetBitMode(FTDIHandle_A, Mask_A,Mode_A); 

FT_SetLatencyTimer(FTDIHandle_A, LatencyTimer);  

FT_SetUSBParameters(FTDIHandle_A,65536,65536);  

FT_SetFlowControl(FTDIHandle_A,FT_FLOW_RTS_CTS,0x00,0x00); 

FT_SetTimeouts(FTDIHandle_A, 5000, 5000);
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I'm using approximately the same, just trying with smaller buffers (64 bytes) to have something working first. 

Do you know when your TXE# goes low, after which step ? Because mine is low at the beginning, goes high when the mode is set to sync fifo, and then never goes low, no matter what I'm doing. 

Alexis.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I've not worked with the hardware in some time, so I couldn't say exactly when TXE# goes low.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

Here's some of the code I used to configure channel A for sync fifo mode. Maybe something will stand out. 

UCHAR Mask_A = 0xff; // all outputs 

UCHAR Mode_A = 0x40; // high speed synchronous fifo 

UCHAR Reset_Mode = 0x00;  

UCHAR LatencyTimer = 2; 

// connect with Channel A and set Mode 

ftStatus = FT_Open(device_number_a, &FTDIHandle_A); 

FT_SetBitMode(FTDIHandle_A, 0xff,Reset_Mode); 

Delay(.01); 

FT_SetBitMode(FTDIHandle_A, Mask_A,Mode_A); 

FT_SetLatencyTimer(FTDIHandle_A, LatencyTimer);  

FT_SetUSBParameters(FTDIHandle_A,65536,65536);  

FT_SetFlowControl(FTDIHandle_A,FT_FLOW_RTS_CTS,0x00,0x00); 

FT_SetTimeouts(FTDIHandle_A, 5000, 5000); 

--- Quote End ---  

TXE# should obviously be low after this kind of settings or am I missing / misunderstanding something ? 

Alexis.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

SOLVED : 

I'm not using the "USB Remote WakeUp" mode, and the master I had taken from the FTDI project of AN_165 was completely ignoring the pin SIWU. 

At first sight, it seemed quite ok and I didn't question it. 

BUT, when unused, the SIWU pin has to receive '1'... 

PS: is it possible to mark a thread as Solved in alteraforum? 

I'd like to THANK YOU gj_leeson for everything you've done to help me! 

Alexis.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I'm glad you solved your problem. I didn't even think about the SIWU pin as I've always tied it HI.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

Do you know the datarate you've reached with this setup ? 

I've reached 32MBytes/s this far, but the size of buffers or the data latency timer don't seem to change anything on my datarate. 

Alexis.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

For big transfer buffer size and data latency doesn't affect speed. 

For small transfer I set latency to 1 ms and use SIWO. Key to improve performance is to make less bigger Write call to use less USB microframe. 

I reached 50 MB/S in read and 14 MB/S in read (see last image into http://electro-logic.blogspot.it/2014/02/fpga-comunicazione-ad-alta-velocita_16.html)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thank you for your feedback. 

Is it normal not to receive those "2 status bytes" that I've read about in many datasheets about usb transfer ? 

Alexis;