Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Faster speed grade and voltage change - Do I need to rebuild?

Sensia_ENG_1
Beginner

I did a quick search and didn't find anything regarding my question.  We have an older design using a Cyclone IV EP4CE22F17I8LN.  Because of the component shortage issues, we are forced to use a EP4CE22F17I7N in place of it (only thing available).  Hardware-wise, the voltage change is trivial.  However, I the software side, my question is do I need to rebuild/recompile the code because of the speed/voltage difference of the new device?  I'd assume going to the faster speed is not an issue, but what about the voltage?  Will the programmer bark about any device ID differences between the code to be programmed (configured as a .JIC) and the different device?  I ask because a recompile will force a new Verification and Validation test, which is lengthy and costly.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Hate to say it, but you probably have to recompile.  There are very few situations I can think of where you would be able to get away with not recompiling if you're moving to a different device.  You could certainly try and test the current programming file to see if it works, though (nice thing about FPGAs).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Hate to say it, but you probably have to recompile.  There are very few situations I can think of where you would be able to get away with not recompiling if you're moving to a different device.  You could certainly try and test the current programming file to see if it works, though (nice thing about FPGAs).

0 Kudos
Sensia_ENG_1
Beginner

There have been mixed answers outside this forum (colleagues, FAEs, etc), but the general consensus seems to be try it, it may work.  Otherwise I'm recompiling.  Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos