Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Flash memory to configure the Cyclone III

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to use a standard flash to configure a CIII chip which is supported in the datasheet. I was wondering if anybody knows the difference between top parameter and bottom parameter flash devices.  

I decided to use a 256 MB Numonyx/Intel chip PC28F256P30T85 for my design becuase its similar to what used in dev kit. No luck though as this chip is not stocked atm. So I look around and see PC28F256P33B85 available. The difference is this is a B is a bottom parameter chip.  

I dont really understand the difference between top and bottom parameters. The Altera datasheet does not really get into this kind of specific detail expect to state that I should use P30/P33 > 40Mhz.  

However, Anybody know if its okay to use bottom parameter flash part for CIII configration?  

Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Bah. I had an old handbook and didn't realize a new one was out. The new handbook has a section which shows how the Cyclone III skips the starting addresses ignoring the top bottom parameter issue. So its ok to use either top or bottom parameter flash chips.

0 Kudos
Subhani1
Beginner

the above you mentioned part is also obsolete plz provide any alternate part which support ap configuration.

0 Kudos