Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18984 Discussions

Getting Started with OpenCL Programming on FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am doing a dissertation using OpenCL on FPGA. I have set up the platform and managed to compile and execute sample programs on both emulator and device.  

However I now need to start developing my own application and have no clue where to start. I have looked for basic Hello World examples but find even those very confusing. 

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction to start coding in OpenCL some very basic programs that I can then build upon like one would in normal C programming. I appreciate OpenCL is much more complicated so that may not be possible, and understand that this is a broad quesstion, but help would be appreciated regardless on how to make the process easier, would be grateful ! 

Thank you in advance 

Tomas
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Start with this free online training and then move on to the running and writing OpenCL trainings linked there. 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/course/oopncl100.html
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Start with this free online training and then move on to the running and writing OpenCL trainings linked there. 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/course/oopncl100.html 

--- Quote End ---  

I've just been through this, and apart from learning a bit more about the theory, I have gained no experience in actually programming OpenCL applications from scratch. It is the basic examples which I find confusing. I want to learn by example like I did with C programming and C++, however I cannot find examples. I can't find anything I can follow at a basic level so that I can build upon it as I imrpove.