Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

Handling large amount of Data between modules in Verilog

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I want to handle large amounts of data between Modules. 

I somehow need to connect up to 1024 inputs and 1024 outputs which are [16:0] width each. For the moment, the only solution which came to my mind is the following: 

input inp_fre_0; ... input inp_fre_1023; output out_fre_0; ... output out_fre_1023; However, it appears to me that this is not the ideal solution and somehow bad style. 

For registers, Verilog offers packed array registers 

reg rex_fim_X1; Is there anything similar for Inputs and Outputs? Quartus says that there is something similar available in SystemVerilog. However i don't wanna start with this since I'm still having enough trouble with Verilog itself... 

Is there maybe an even better way to do the data handling besides using inputs and outputs? 

A little inspiration (and a short code sample :)) would really be appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Jonas
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not a Verilog expert (not even close as I use VHDL for about five years now, after using AHDL for over 10 years) but I checked Thomas & Moorby's 'The Verilog Hardware Description Language' and looking into a MegaWizard generated .v file, I feel it should work like this 

module ttt ( inp_fre , ... , ... ) ; input inp_fre; ... endmodule
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

System Verilog brings also structurized data types (e.g. arrays) for module interfaces, but standard Verilog hasn't it. So you have to represent the connection by a large [17*1024-1..0] "flattened" vector. But that's no problem for the design compiler, bad readability is probably the main drawback. 

You'lll need a rather large FPGA to have about 17500 internal signals, and also a considerable amount of routing resources. Did you verify, that the design is feasible, apart from the particular module connection problem?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Alas, I tried it in Quartus II after reading FvM's post and it doesn't work. Looks like Verilog is quite limited , so stepping up to SystemVerilog seems to be the advice ... so I'll have to look for a good book on SystemVerilog

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried josyb solution but wasn't able to let it work. 

How to index the internal signals that now have a double index? 

If I declare it like this: 

--- Quote Start ---  

module tmp2(A[1:0],Y); 

input [7:0]A; 

wire [7:0] A; 

output [7:0] Y; 

wire [7:0] Y; 

assign Y = A+{A,1'b1}; 

endmodule 

--- Quote End ---  

it looks like A is a 2bit signal 

If I declare it like this: 

--- Quote Start ---  

module tmp2(A[7:0],Y); 

input [1:0]A; 

wire [1:0] A; 

output [7:0] Y; 

wire [7:0] Y; 

assign Y = A+{A,1'b1}; 

endmodule 

--- Quote End ---  

I get an error 

Any hint?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I essentially tried what nplttr shows before I posted my second reply. 

Looks like I'll stick to VHDL, it may be a bit verbose sometimes, but at least I don't have to paste/copy/edit two sets of 1024 lines to declare what jonas.lindmann wants. In VHDL it is as simple (at first sight) as : port ( ... inp_fre : in std_logic_2D(1023 downto 0 , 16 downto 0) ; ... ) ; 

or with parameters : 

entity ttt is generic ( NUM_OF_PORTS : natural := 1024 ; WIDTH_PORT : natural := 17 ) ; port ( ... inp_fre : in std_logic_2D(NUM_OF_PORTS - 1 downto 0 , WIDTH_PORT - 1 downto 0) ; .... ) ; end ttt ;  

It seems there is no Verilog equivalent for this? Great :eek: 

I wonder why Altera switched from AHDL to Verilog for their building blocks? It looked like they were going to switch to VHDL, which partly convinced me of VHDL too.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Everything clear. 

Thx
0 Kudos