Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20639 Discussions

How much negative current can a FPGA Cyclone II user pins I/O can drive ? Sum of pin currents

mmoussea
Novice

Hi.

How much negative current can a FPGA Cyclone II pin I/O can drive ?

I see on documentation that one I/O user pin can drive -24mA.

But what about the sum of all negative current currents allowed ?

Documentation says that maximum current strength of {8 pins Top and Bottom} or {12 pins side} must not exceed 240mA. That is for positive current. But what about negative currents ?

Best regards.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

May I know which document are you referring to about I/O pin that can drive -24mA?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mmoussea
Novice

hi, on https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyc2/cyc2_cii5v1.pdf

table 5-1 "Absolute maximum rating" : -25mA

On https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyc2/cyc2_cii51010.pdf

Programmable current strength : 24mA by default.

My end prupose is that my pins currently drive down to 0V {one resistor,  one LED in serial to 3.3V} and wonder if FPGA Cylone II pins can drive -7 mA.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Are you referring to -25mA minimum on Iout on Table 5-1? If that is the one you are referring to you cannot set it below -25mA since it may cause permanent damage to your device.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
mmoussea
Novice

Hello.

I may ask differently :

Can I drive -7mA per pin (current flow into an output pin), not exceeding -240mA per 8 or 12 pins (depends of banks) ?

Best regards.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Yes, absolutely!

Thanks

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos