Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20680 Discussions

How to program Max10 in circuit with microcontroller?

DWarr3
Beginner

Hi,

Sorry if this a simple question. I am looking for a small FPGA to use with a microcontroller. I would like to program in circuit so I can update. Is the only way to program Max10 jtag? If so is there example circuit and C code to do that from some microcontroller IO pins?

I searched this forum but does not seem much content and could not find the answers.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
1 Solution
a_x_h_75
New Contributor III

Yes - JTAG is the only way to program MAX 10. There is no documentation explaining how Altera/Intel use JTAG to configure their FPGAs. For that reason I'd steer clear of even attempting it. JTAG programming is implemented in much larger programs for good reason. Sorry to put a dampener on things...

Why MAX 10? I recommend you consider configuring a Cyclone IV device from your microcontroller using passive serial programming. That is well documented and (can be) very small to implement.

Cheers,

Alex

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_x_h_75
New Contributor III

Yes - JTAG is the only way to program MAX 10. There is no documentation explaining how Altera/Intel use JTAG to configure their FPGAs. For that reason I'd steer clear of even attempting it. JTAG programming is implemented in much larger programs for good reason. Sorry to put a dampener on things...

Why MAX 10? I recommend you consider configuring a Cyclone IV device from your microcontroller using passive serial programming. That is well documented and (can be) very small to implement.

Cheers,

Alex

0 Kudos
DWarr3
Beginner

Hi Alex,

Thanks for that, I am rapidly going off the Max10 family. Cyclone IV is old, and also needs a core voltage. However the previous generation of my product used a Cyclone II.

I think I will be forced to use the Lattice XO3 devices, program with SPI or I2C which makes things much easier.

0 Kudos