Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

How to write directly to FPGA peripherals from SoC ??

ThangND
Beginner

Hi,

I'm working on an Altera Cyclone V SoC. I'm attempting to write directly to FPGA peripherals from my SoC, however, the hwlib library only contains the function alt_write_word, which I understand that this function writes to the cache first before writing it to the main memory. In NIOS II, the built in function IOWR has already configured the memory so that the IOWR function writes directly to the FPGA peripherals. So, my question is, when I'm working with SoC, if the hwlib library doesn't provide such a function, how can I write directly to the FPGA peripherals ? Do I need to configure the memory type or what ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

All this is set up in Platform Designer when you build the system that includes the HPS.  You set up the addressing for the FPGA components there, connected to one of the H2F bridges (normal traffic or lightweight).  Then the .sopcinfo file generated by Platform Designer is used to create the files needed to access the peripherals in software.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

All this is set up in Platform Designer when you build the system that includes the HPS.  You set up the addressing for the FPGA components there, connected to one of the H2F bridges (normal traffic or lightweight).  Then the .sopcinfo file generated by Platform Designer is used to create the files needed to access the peripherals in software.

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

alt_write_word can write directly to an fpga peripheral attach to h2fbridge axi bus, which address mapping can be found in your Platform designer.

0 Kudos