Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

I/O Standard

RDiva
Novice

Hello,

recently while working on a design with EP4CE30F29I8LN where all our I/O banks were powered to 3.3V and under device and pin options I had selected 3.3-V LVCMOS. However one of the I/O lines had to be adjusted for increased current strength from default 2 mA and also the slew rate. The only way I could do it was to change the I/O standard of one entire bank to 3.0-V LVCMOS and this made it work. Is this okay even though I externally connect to 3.3V?

Thanks,

Divakar

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello Divakar,

I see you are using Cyclone IV on your design. Are you referring to Vccio? If yes, the range of Vccio in 3.0-V LVCMOS is from 2.85V to 3.15V. Supplying Vccio of 3.3V on this bank is not recommended since it is above the range and I cannot validate whether it will be safe or not to your device. I would recommend you to follow I/O Standard Specs from Cyclone IV Device Datasheet Table 1-15 page 12: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyiv-53001.pdf .

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RDiva
Novice

Is there a way I can get current strength greater than 2 mA when selected for 3.3-V LVCMOS

0 Kudos
RDiva
Novice

Can it damage the device? I see the absolute maximum rating is 3.45.  

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello RDiva,

Unfortunately no. The current strength from the table I shared with you is only from -2mA to 2mA for 3.3V LVCMOS. I am sorry I cannot validate if it will be safe for your device if you set specifications beyond our range from that document. Do you need any more clarification?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello RDiva,

I hope your problems have been solved. I will close this case in 3 days if there is no further questions from you.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
RDiva
Novice

What is the absolute maximum? Is it still, 3.75 per table 1-1?

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello RDiva,

They they are 3.75V according to your specification you asked. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos