Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Illegal I/O standard

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

When I compile my design I end up in the following error: 

Error (169092): Illegal I/O standard 3.3 V Schmitt Trigger for pin <SCL> -- I/O standard not supported by output pins in target device 

I do understand that the corresponding pin of the SCL node does not support Schmitt trigger I/O. My question is how do I identify which all pins are Schmitt trigger enabled or if any of the pins support Schmitt trigger. I am using a MAX10 FPGA (10M02). 

Thanks in advance. :)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

according to the MAX 10 device datasheet, Schmitt trigger inputs are supported on all pins ("max 10 devices support schmitt trigger input on all i/o pins", see section "dc characteristics"). 

I think the problem is that you are trying to select Schmitt trigger characteristics for an output pin. A Schmitt trigger only makes sense for inputs. 

I don't know though how this behaves when your pin is bidirectional. "SCL" sounds like an I2C clock pin; if you want to support clock stretching, that pin would have to be bidirectional ("inout" in VHDL). I would expect that you can configure such a pin as Schmitt trigger. 

Best regards, 

GooGooCluster
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thankyou GooGooCluster, that exactly was the problem. The pin that I tried to make it Schmitt trigger was an output pin. Thanks a lot. :)

0 Kudos