Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

Implementing TCP layer in FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I need to have a very basic tcp functionality in FPGA which can connect with another machine and transfer payload sent from another hardware module. I am a very beginner in TCP. Is there any opensource stuff that I can use ? I am not sure if there is any HDL resources in TCP. Otherwise, if anyone can refer me to any resource which might help me to code/implement a very basic tcp protocol then it'll be really helpful

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TCP on the hardware level is complicated to implement. AFAIK there is no opensource project, and the commercial alternatives are expensive. It is a lot easier to use a software solution if you want to stick to TCP, or use UDP which is a lot easier to implement in hardware.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a low-cost core available from com block (http://www.comblock.com). Unfortunately it is targeting Xilinx (only), so you will have some work converting e.g. RAM blocks and such.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

skepticc, If this query is related to your other recent threads, and you are simply trying to demo something on a short time frame (and now you want a "Network Enabled" version), you probably just want to use a NIOS using the simple socket server demo app as a starting point. 

If this is a new/unrelated project, as Daixiwen mentioned, you should review if TCP is really necessary. In many cases, UDP is adequate and is hardware-friendly.
0 Kudos