Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Intel FPGA Questa license problem

Helen5
Beginner

Hi,

I have download the Quartus Prime Lite on my laptop using a free fixed node license, in my workplace it a pro version with paid floating license. 

But Questa doesn't work on my fixed node license when I bring my laptop to work, even after I disable the Internet connection. 

If I don't have Questa running on my laptop, and tried to run one in my workplace, the license error is: "unable to checkout a viewer license necessary for use of the Questa Inter Starter FPGA Edition graphical user interface. Vsim is closing." Questa is then aborted.

If Questa is already running, then the error message is: " This application was using a node-locked license that is keyed to a portable hostid devide or "dongle". That device appears to have been removed from this PC. You no longer have a license to use this application. Please exit this application or reinstall the correct hardware key. "

Please see the attached my fixed node license file. 

Regards

0 Kudos
9 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

So the license works at home, but as soon as you bring your laptop into a work, it doesn't work anymore?  That's just weird.

As the message says, are you using like a USB-to-ethernet dongle or something that you are removing when you go to work?  The MAC address is keyed to that dongle, so you would need to leave it plugged in.  If your laptop has wireless (what laptop doesn't but you never know), you'd probably want your fixed node license connected to the wifi instead of a removable dongle since that's probably not removable.

0 Kudos
Helen5
Beginner

Thanks for replying.

I don't have an USB dangle. But it could be the MAC address that I supplied when requesting the license cause the problem. I don't remember exactly which one I picked, perhaps not the WiFi one. 

Anyway, I am going to have a new laptop so will need a new license. I'm just curious what the problem is.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello

Pre my understanding, Questa not working with your free fix node license. My guess is because the license is Quartus license. You need a Questa free license for Questa Inter Starter FPGA Edition.

You could request the Questa Sim Starter Edition free license here https://licensing.intel.com/           

1) Go to Sign up for Evaluation or Free licenses

2) Select Questa*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition SW-QUESTA

3) # of Seats is always 1

4) Check the T&C box

5) Click Get License button

The license will be sent to email that you register with

For more regarding Questa refer here

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/programmable/quartus-prime/questa-edition.html

0 Kudos
Helen5
Beginner

Thanks for replying.

I have already requested and installed the Questa Inter FPGA fixed node license, and free Quartus II version.

Simulation works fine at home, but when the laptop is in workplace, which has the subscription license, Questar no longer works, even though I disable the internet connection. 

It's very strange.

Regards

Helen

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi

To confirm this, which Questa version you install? Questa*-Intel® FPGA Edition Software or Questa*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition Software and could you provide the Questa license.dat file for checking?

For privacy, reply/attach file in private message.

0 Kudos
Helen5
Beginner

Hi,

It's Questa*-Intel® FPGA Starter Edition

0 Kudos
Helen5
Beginner

Not sure how to do private message. The file is at the top of the thread. 

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We PM you a private message. Hope you received it. 

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply/answer that I have provided in private message mail. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos