Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

Internal Oscillator Frequencies for Intel MAX 10 Devices

JeremyTan
Beginner

JeremyTan_0-1638252076128.png

Hi Would like to check the Minimum and Maximum frequency specification on MAX10 internal oscillator.

Q1 : Is the internal oscillator frequency selectable from range 55~116Mhz.

Q2 : If Q1 answer is NO. What are the factor for the frequency variation?

Q3 : Is it suitable to use internal oscillator for the stepper motor control application? or external oscillator is required?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jozephka99
New Contributor II

Hi,

A1: No, the internal oscillator frequency not selectable. You can just select the simulation frequency from internal oscillator IP.

A2: Internal oscillator frequency depends on FPGA's physical conditions. It may vary and not accurate. But you can use typical frequency values for internal oscillator's frequency.

A3: I don't know it is suitable for stepper motors but I suggest you to use an external oscillator or PLL for consistent and accurate frequencies for sensitive operations. 

0 Kudos
JeremyTan
Beginner

Hi  @jozephka99 

Thanks for the reply.

I would more interested to know if anyone has experience to control motor driver by using internal oscillator.

0 Kudos
jozephka99
New Contributor II

Why don't you take the oscillator frequency as typical frequency value and try the control motor driver with that. I think that works. I use internal oscillator for a timer assume that the frequency is typical value and it works in my case.

0 Kudos
PYtte
New Contributor I

I have controlled a simple BLDC motor using PWM and Hall sensors on a MAX10 with only the internal oscillator. We had 10 different cards and the frequency we measure on the Internal Oscillator differed from 78 to 83 MHz. It was pretty stable on each PCB though so we got it working but the speed of the PWM and all communication protocols we used was of course directly connected to the different speed of the system clock.

So yes you can do it. But depends on your requirements on the motor control.

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Please refer AN 496: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an496.pdf for its usage in MAX 10.

There is a link for design example as well.

Regards

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos